Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Going green - Just a little bit

Okay. I've talked about trying to go green. And sitting in the movie theater watching WALL-E on Saturday, I started thinking about it some more. (I think possibly there's going to be a kid who's 6 today and someday when they grow up and invent some amazing thing that saves the Earth, and they'll say that watching that movie was the day they decided to take care of the planet, just like WALL-E.) I decided that I'm not a scientist. I'm not an activist. I'm just a regular person. But I can get up and do one small thing every day.

So here's my new plan. Every month, I'm going to try out something to go green. Something small. Something even a goof like me can do. I can't say that they'll all work. Or that I'll be able to do all of them consistently. But I'm going to try.

And as this is the first day of the new month, I'm going to start my one small thing. I've decided that this month, I'm going to try to convert to black coffee at work. Okay, that doesn't sound like a big deal. But look at it this way: I use 3 of those little plastic creamer deals in a large cup of coffee. I drink at least 2 cups of coffee a day. I work 5 days a week, approximately 48 weeks a year (taking into account holidays, floating holidays and earned vacation). That works out to be, hold onto your hats, folks - 1,440 of those little plastic cups. Holy shit. (Sorry about the swear word. But that really is a "holy shit" realization.) Okay. They're small. But that's a lot of those things. A lot.

So, as of today, I'm going to try to drink black coffee at work. It's probably better for my health anyway. It looks like milk, but who knows what that stuff really is. I'll still put milk in when I'm at home, or at a restaurant that has a dispenser. But no more creamer cups. I'm not particularly wild about black coffee, but I'll try to think of it as being tough and hardcore. Cause, you know me. When you think of me, tough and hardcore are the first words to come to mind.

Anyway. It's tiny. But it's a manageable change. Saving the Earth. One tiny little cup at a time.

7 comments:

Desiree' said...

Good for you! I think I will try to follow your example. This month I will start with recycling my soda cans.

FirePhrase said...

Right on! You rock, Des!

Desiree' said...

That I do, my friend, that I do.

WashingtonGardener said...

Good idea! If you get the new Discovery Green channel (formerly their Home channel) check out "Wasted" - green life makeovers and cash prizes! I think that show is so addictive - been waiting for one like it for years!

FirePhrase said...

Probably not. I have the weirdest gaps in the channels that I do and don't have. But I'll check tonight. I could use some help on this. It ain't easy being green. (And yes, I've been sitting on that joke for weeks.)

victory4angela said...

You are hard core! Why don't you buy a huge bottle of creamer from HEB and keep in the fridge. Be sure to label it or it will be gone! Since I only drink coffee when I'm REALLY tired, I could never be as brave as you. I need at least 3 flavored creamers and 3 splendas. But, I'm doing my part by only drinking coffee once every 2 weeks!

We don't recycle cans or bottles at work so I bundle up my coke cans and bring 'em home. (VA isn't as tough as MD with office recycling - darn shame).

FirePhrase said...

So far, the black coffee is working. Though I nearly slipped out of habit this morning. I'll keep the carton idea in my back pocket if I decide I can't face another cup of straight up joe. Believe me, I drink coffee for everybody else as much as myself. People won't talk to me in the morning unless they know I've started my first cup.

TIME: Quotes of the Day