Friday, May 2, 2008

Tempered Iron Man

It is looking like it's going to be a good summer for movies. Just in indie films, I already want to see: Then She Found Me, Young@Heart, Priceless, The Life Before Her Eyes, And When Did You Last See Your Father?, Son of Rambow and The Foot Fist Way. And this doesn't even start to crack the major releases like Indy (yeeeeee haaaaaaaw!), Speed Racer

Major digression: My first response when I heard Racer X was going to be played by Matthew Fox was going to be played by Matthew Fox was "NO! NO! NO!" I mean seriously. This is miscasting of a serious and tragic nature. Mathew Fox is in no way shape or form Racer X. I say this as a person who had an 8-year old case of the LUVS for Racer X. I could probably name a dozen other actors who could have played that part. Vin Diesel comes to the top of the list, to whom my response would have been a resounding "yes!". I'm still going to see Speed Racer. The film technology they used sounds interesting at the very least. But let's face it. Unless Fox can pull of the counter-programming coup of the decade, this is going to be a major misfire.

and The Fall. And starting it all off is Iron Man.

Iron Man has been on my radar since I hear Jon Favreau. I loved his Zathura. And I trust him to direct anything in the scifi vein. And I never read Iron Man, so I don't have any fear that it would ruin something old and beloved for me. Plus, the Comicon preview had people dancing jigs to see the full version. And now that I've had a gander at the new and improved Robert Downey, Jr. Well. Wacca wacca.

Who knew? I've never been a fan (his drug years were a major turnoff for me), but it looks like he could make me a believer. I'd bet the Actors' Studio doesn't recommend years of drug addiction as a method for preparing for a movie role, but in Downey's case, the history may be playing in his favor for this part. He has that "through the fire" look that totally sells you on him knowing whereof he speaks. And let's face it. That's sexy as hell.

3 comments:

Desiree' said...

I was never an Iron Man comic fan, but this movie looks delish. When I heard that Robert Downey Jr. was going to play Tony Stark, the alcoholic rich playboy, I thought "of course he is!". It just seemed perfect to me. And the previews look awesome. I think I will make the kids take me on mother's day. I don't think that they will object. lol

FirePhrase said...

Special FX, Dolby Digital and a box of Milk Duds. Sounds like the perfect Mother's Day outing to me.

WashingtonGardener said...

I too am annoyed (to say the least) about the Racer X castine - he BETTER prove me wrong

TIME: Quotes of the Day