Monday, August 1, 2011

Me and my ax

So I went and took a lesson in playing the ukulele on Saturday. I know. One more step towards being the most eccentric person you know. Who plays the ukulele? Other than Eddie Vedder.

There is sort of a method to the madness. One, portability. This is not the tuba. Two, though there are actual ukulele virtuosos like Izrael Kamakawiwo’ole, let’s face it, the bar was set by Tiny Tim. And have you ever said, “He’s good, but he’s no Tiny Tim”? Three, picture it: me, campfire, a ukulele. Niiiiiiccceee. Okay, ignore the part of the picture where my friends are holding their ears and begging me to stop.

So, I’m going to start with Michael Row the Boat Ashore. Or something equally beginner. But really, the goal is something from the Holy Jim Trinity (Jimmy Buffett, Jim Croce, James Taylor). Or George Michael’s Faith. Or Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody. Oh, yeah.

2 comments:

glorm said...

Playing the ukulele is big now so you're on top of things. Have fun.

FirePhrase said...

And talk about 2 hobby synchronicity - I found a felted ukulele gig bag patter on Ravelry - Super Sweet!

TIME: Quotes of the Day