Tuesday, August 2, 2011

At the Movies - Hollywood misses the boat once again

Okay, I’ve read a bunch of post mortems on the movie Cowboys and Aliens, and I’m just going to have to disagree with all of them. For a lot of reasons. But my biggest pet peeve is that nobody seems to realize what they had in this movie. This is the flick that bridges the gap between chick flick and dick flick. This is the ultimate date movie.

I can attest to the appeal for women just on the face of things. Mostly the face (and leather framed behind) of Daniel Craig. There are good lookin’ manly men (Harrison Ford, Keith Carradine, Clancy Brown, Adam Beach, David O’Hara, and okay, Sam Rockwell isn’t all that manly, but he’s still good lookin’) in this movie. And the girls were out at the showing of the movie that I went to. I’d say almost half the audience was women. I bet you don’t see that kind of demographics at the latest Transformers brain shrinker. Now, admittedly, I do fall into a sweet spot here, as a girl who loves both westerns and sci-fi. But, guess what? I’m not alone.

Also, there were women in this movie. Not one of them ended up half naked. Or screaming uselessly and running in 5-inch heels. The only whore in the movie was reformed, and married, and her husband shot somebody for calling her a whore. Plus, Olivia Wilde, who is undoubtedly one hot babe, is a main protagonist who neither needs to be saved nor allows others to do the saving. And she does it fully clothed! Take that Megan Fox!

So, here was a movie that had plenty of explosions and disgusting monsters and guns and men saying pithy things and repressing their emotions – and yet there was plenty for women to look at (Daniel Craig’s pretty, pretty blue eyes leap to mind) and no creeping undertone of misogyny for them to have to tune out. Date movie! For god’s sake Hollywood. Catch up.

4 comments:

glorm said...

This review is great on so many levels. Love it! Thank you.

FirePhrase said...

Thanks! The whole reviewing sci-fi movies (or westerns for that matter) like it's always going to be a 14-year old boy going to see it just gets under my skin. Takes me back to the old "pink is for girls and blue is for boys" arguments of my childhood. Plus, it's that kind of closed-minded thinking that's gotten us so many dry, tasteless, boring movies lately. Why can't they make a sci-fi romantic comedy? It could work!

glorm said...

The closest Hollywood came to that is Love at First Bite with George Hamilton, The Year-Round Tanned Guy. LOL

I heard an expert in the field of heirloom items say that years ago (before the 20s is what I think she said) blue was for girls and pink for boys. She showed some proof and I've forgotten what that was. In the next century it could be different colors.

FirePhrase said...

You know, my Mom says the same thing. Something about pink symbolizing the male heir or youngblood.

And there are a few sci-fi rom-coms, really. Electric Dreams, My Science Project, Ice Pirates - all in the 80s come to think of it. All good for a laugh, but the great sci-fi rom-com is probably still available if somebody wants to write it.

TIME: Quotes of the Day