Thursday, May 12, 2011

Lookin' good

I haven’t seen this movie (Bridesmaids). Maybe I will. Maybe I won’t. Looks funny. Depends on what mood I’m in.

But can I just give it kudos on one point?

See the picture above. I’m not seeing anything any of these women are wearing that is unrealistic. It bugs the s-n-o-t, SNOT out of me when most movies about women put the lead actresses in fantasy clothes. Stuff like the girl who is supposed to be a dog walker for a living is wearing $200 jeans and a silk t-shirt. Uh, no. It’s like some sort of rule that Jennifer Anniston, Kate Hudson and Anne Hathaway can’t be in a romantic comedy unless they are wearing designer clothes. And not just like Ralph Lauren or Michael Kors or somebody I’ve heard of. Freakish over-priced stuff from boutique labels that only Jennifer Anniston can afford to by. The real Jennifer Anniston, not the dog walker Jennifer Anniston.

These women are all dressed like women I know. Okay, the hair is probably 10 percent better than most normal women. But I give it a pass.

I think the reason it bugs me so much (the main reason) is that it’s just bad storytelling. Like Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Audrey Hepburn is wearing clothes that she can’t afford, but it’s because she’s been getting paid to go the powder room. If Kate Hudson is supposed to be playing a single mom with a baby, how are you supposed to believe it when she’s wearing an Italian wool sweater that not only doesn’t have baby barf on the shoulder, you can’t even imagine a baby who would have the nerve to barf on it in the first place.

Come to think of it, maybe I should go see this movie. Just to support truth in costuming.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

sometimes fantasy wardrobes are great and we ALL know they are not realistic (am thinking GWTW and the like) - but we give it a pass - just like we forgive certain impossible screen couple match-ups - I do applaud this film for not glossing over reality, though way easier to do with a gross-out comedy rather than say a period romance

but do agree this film looks funny as hell and kicking myself in the rear for missing the local preview screening for it!

FirePhrase said...

I'm okay with fantasy wardrobe (Sex in the City leaps to mind as particularly well-styled). And gawd knows I'd give my left arm for EVERYTHING Kiera Knightley wore in Pride and Prejudice. But when they take it too far it just hacks me off. And takes me way out of the story. And movies have paid stylists, who you'd think would be able to pull together a great looking outfit anywhere from Yves St. Laurent to the Salvation Army. Oh. Grr. Now I'm all aggravated again.

TIME: Quotes of the Day