Tuesday, May 3, 2011

If only this was the end

The death of Osama bin Laden. As always with these things, it’s not easy to process when you’re a peace loving pragmatist. I wish we could have handled this as a country with quiet dignity. I understand why some could not. I can say I don’t feel safer. Do you?

I do feel like, given the Pakistanis remarkable ability to play both sides against the middle, that we should seriously re-think any aid money that is in that new budget we just wrote. If they can’t back us in a bar fight, it’s time to stop picking up their tab. Mean spirited, yes. Did I mention that I’m a little conflicted about this?

Was it about vengeance? Justice? The future safety of the billions of people worldwide who are threatened by the effects of radical terrorism? Finally being able to end a war effort that has floundered too long and killed too many? Maybe a little of each of the first three. I’m failing to even hope for the last.

I’m not glad he’s dead. I’m not sorry either. Really, I’m just sorry that we don’t live in a better world than this.

No comments:

TIME: Quotes of the Day