Monday, January 3, 2011

What a Goofus

You know what I miss? Goofus and Gallant from Highlights. It was that cartoon in the Highlights magazine that had the two little boys. And you knew whatever Goofus was doing was just plain wrong. That kid could not get right. Always doing something stupid. And Gallant was the dude. Never put a foot wrong.

There was never any question about who was the role model. And it wasn’t like they were telling you exactly what to do. It wasn’t a cartoon saying “Write thank you notes.” Which would have been boring. And no matter what a hot mess Goofus was, he was always entertaining. And no kid likes being told what to do. But it was like the cartoon was tipping you the nod on how to be a playa. Make like Gallant. Don’t be a Goofus. Hell, no. Not me. Gallant all the way.

Though I don’t know if kids today would get it. It’s kind of low-tech for them. But there are still plenty of adults who remember the Highlights, and could still use a few pointers. Like Goofus takes non-emergency cell phone calls when he’s on a date. Gallant never has more than 10 items in the express check-out lane. Goofus wears knit basketball shorts and scratches his testicles in front of a train full of people. Not that I’m thinking of anyone specific there. But really, I think it’s time for the boys to have a career comeback. There are a lot of Goofuses out there.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

my nieces get Highlights - I never got into it myself, was into Jack & Jill mag for a bit

FirePhrase said...

My first school got Highlights, until I was in 3rd grade. After that I only ever saw it at the dentist or the eye doctor. So I'd have to catch up on 6 months of G&G at a time.

TIME: Quotes of the Day