Friday, January 7, 2011

Not ready yet, Mr. DeMille

Okay, so here’s how it went down.

I had like, oh, say, about 3 thousand times more stress getting out the door this morning than usual. Fretting over clothing and hair and make up. Forgetting things. Realizing I need gas. Getting to the gas station and realizing that I had forgotten the directions. Finally making it onto the road. Getting lost. Finding my way back onto the route. Getting lost again. Ending up in the weird industrial/trucking and transportation area. Wondering vaguely if this is really an elaborate, if not very well thought out, plot by some serial killer to break a record by corralling a large number of 40-ish victims and bumping us off in rapid succession. Deciding that was being paranoid. Deciding that paranoia was a symptom of anxiety. Rethinking every choice I’d made about clothing, hair and make up. Deciding, fuck it. And walking in.

Into a strange, semi-abandoned warehouse, with the odd (and I do mean odd) direct to video movie poster slapped on the wall. Eventually, I found a big room with 30 folding chairs of varied provenance and questionable levels of sturdiness, and a moderately perky, professionally hip gal wrangling a bunch of vaguely middle-aged people. She had me fill out a form, and in a friendly yet firmly impersonal way told me to go cool my heels until they called for me. So, being me, I took one of the sturdier looking chairs and whipped out my knitting. About 10 minutes later, I was called up and told to put a sticky note with a number on my sweater and follow her. We passed the woman who was before me leaving. Let’s just say, I didn’t get the job. That was no real person. Amazons are not real people. If I had an ad campaign, I’d pick her over me any day. Anyway. They at least took a few pity shots of me, just so that I wouldn’t feel stupid for coming out. Which I appreciate. And the photographer was a cutie. So. I’ve spent worse mornings.

And it was a novel experience. I am quite fond of novelty. And I learned a few things. Should you ever find yourself in a similar situation, check your full-length profile in the clothes you decide to wear. While the slacks I have on are pretty flattering from front and back, they made me look like I had a poochy tummy from the side. Okay, it’s my tummy that makes me look like I have a poochy tummy from the side. But the pants weren’t helping. Also, carry a decent-sized pocket mirror for a last minute check. There may not be one in the room. Why they wouldn’t want you to look your best, I don’t know. But there you have it. Also, check to make sure your top doesn’t get lap wrinkles from sitting. Yes, by the time I got to the office after the casting call, and saw myself from all angles in a full-length mirror, I was less than satisfied by my efforts. Well. If it ever comes up again, I’ll know. If I decide to do it again. It kind of put my head through the wringer. The pain:gain ratio may be more than this petunia can handle.

2 comments:

glorm said...

Hey, you gave it a shot and now you know what to do and what not to do for the next time. Good for you.

FirePhrase said...

I'm kind of viewing this as groundbreaking, for me. Putting myself out there, in the void, is not my strong suit. I'm just going to consider it one more weird thing to put on the resume. Along with Christmas tree decorator and airplane escape raft tester.

TIME: Quotes of the Day