Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Slaw she wrote

Okay, I haven’t posted a recipe in a while. This is a spin on my good-as-heck coleslaw. Which, though it really is good as heck, has a flaw as far as my weekly Girls Dinner goes. It has sour cream. And one of the “girls” is lactose intolerant. And though she’s a fan of that coleslaw, I end up feeling guilty as heck for basically poisoning her.

This last weekend, the main entrée was pork green chile verde (hellz yes). So I wanted something that would play off that flavor, but not, you know, lead to gastric distress for anyone. I cobbled together a couple of recipes and came up with this slaw that was just pretty damn good, if I say so meself. I think it is another step closer to my claiming the Queen of the Cold Salads crown. It’s simple (natch), yet tastes pretty impressive. Given the quantity, it would make a kick ass go-to dish if you have a potluck or picnic. Haven’t tried it yet, but my gut tells me it would also rock on fish tacos.

Zesty Zlaw
  • One package shredded cabbage
  • One package broccoli slaw
  • One apple cut into matchsticks (or grated if you have a decent large hole grater, which I don’t)
  • ¼ cup mayo*
  • Zest and juice of 3 lemons
  • Salt & pepper to taste
Mix the mayo, lemon zest, juice, salt and pepper into a large bowl. Add apple first and mix thoroughly to coat (keeps the apple from browning, yucky). Add cabbage and broccoli slaw and toss. Allow to sit at least half an hour to juice up a bit. Toss and serve.

* Real mayo, please, not salad dressing. We are not heathens. I use the low ingredient Kraft version. But if you make your own, I bow to your superior kitcheninja-tude.

2 comments:

glorm said...

The recipe contains 3 fruits and vegetables to boot. Guess you have to be Queen of Cold Salads as your oven is a little iffy.

FirePhrase said...

The oven is definitely a factor. And frankly, any time I'm actually using heat, the results just get a little iffy.

TIME: Quotes of the Day