Friday, January 14, 2011

My personal plea to Helena Bonham Carter.

Dear Miss Helena:

I know we’ve had a somewhat rocky history. I may have disparaged your performances in some of your earlier work. Some comment may have been made about a performance can’t just be all about “frizzy hair and a case of the crazy eye.” Chacun a son gout, right? And eventually, you did win me over. Starting with Big Fish, I’ve been in your corner.

Amazingly, even your fashion sense has finally brought me over to your side. How many people can say that? You work a crazy, gothic, Victoriana circus performer aesthetic with a tenacity, and dare I say virtuosity, that no one, I say, NO ONE in Hollywood has the balls to touch. You stay true to your own vision, when a lot of people just grab the first L’Wren Scott rag they can get their grubbies on and hope that no one puts them on a Worst Dressed list. You dare people to put you on a worst dressed list. You’ve got fashion brass ones, babe. And I’m behind you all the way.

So, here’s what I’d like to say, as a fan, please start planning your Oscars dress now. You were in 3 big movies this year. And you will be nominated for The King’s Speech (not sure if you’ll win, but the nom is a lock, and if I could give the trophy to you, I would). False modesty of “oh, I’m so surprised, I haven’t a thing to wear” sort will only waste valuable costuming time. I want spectacular. I want a Helena Bonham Carter Extravaganza Starring Helena Bonham Carter. Don’t pussy out and take something from Ralph Lauren just because they offer it. Bo. Ring. If you’re going to go with a designer, maybe Gauthier or Westwood. Maybe something vintage from McQueen (okay, might be too on-the-nose). But don’t feel like you have to go with a name either. Pick some young designer who will really collaborate with you. Or buy something in some scroddy resale shop. I trust your judgment. You just be you, and I’ll be happy.

See you at the Academy Awards!

Loves,
jb

3 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

did u see her at golden globes? i only saw wild hai - but am sure dress was typically 'off' for her

WashingtonGardener said...

hai = hair!

FirePhrase said...

The hair was crazy, but the sparkle/net/asymmetrical tea length (tea length!!) goth prom gown was just beyond. And then she wore 2 different color shoes!! Absolutely brilliant! I adore her!

TIME: Quotes of the Day