Wednesday, August 4, 2010

I Scream a Little Louder

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/04/dining/04icecream.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=dining

Okay, I’m kind of appalled by this story. Ice cream is obviously going the way of the cocktail – all overgrown foodie-faddie. So much hot air blown around that it’s a wonder the ice cream ever sets. $5 for a small cone? Really? Pirates. And that “artisanal” ice cream person who says that ice cream is really complicated? No. It’s not. Frankly, if anyone tells you that they make an artisanal product, check and make sure they haven’t stolen your wallet. Biggest con of the year. People make their own ice cream in the back yard, with stuff they buy at the super market, while simultaneously grilling hamburgers. And have you ever had a BAD scoop of homemade ice cream? Me neither.

I’ve been going through a bit of an ice cream phase this summer, since someone gave me a machine. And I’ve made some kick-booty sorbets and sherbets. I guess you can’t really call it ice cream, since one of the people I’ve been making dessert for is lactose intolerant, and I can’t find lactose-free cream. But the chocolate sherbet I made from David Lebovitz’s blog (http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archives/2009/06/chocolate_sherbet.html) was immense, even though I used Lactaid milk. And the recipe for vegan strawberry (http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archives/2010/07/vegan_strawberry_ice_cream_recipe.html) set a new benchmark for me of what a vegan recipe can taste like. Like summer in your mouth. And the 2 liters of ice cream ended up costing about $10 to make. That includes the bag of ice, since I don’t have an ice maker. Let me tell you, beat the hell out of Tofutti.

Yeah, it’s a little work. Not that much though. Let’s remember, I’m the laziest cook you know. I don’t do complicated. But I can guarantee that with only moderate effort, a cheap ice cream maker and fair-to-middling ingredients, you can make something spectacular on your own.

4 comments:

glorm said...

On a related note a store somewhere is selling "adult" ice cream. It contains Viagara.

As Jay Leno might say, "Are we getting so lazy in this country that we can't swallow our Viagara separate from our ice cream?"

This ice cream *might* warrant a high price tag, but regular ol' ice cream? Hmmmm. This cost is ridiculous, because there is something about "going out for ice cream" even if you have a few gallons in the freezer.

FirePhrase said...

Yeah, I like going for a cone too. But I'm pretty happy with just a plain vanilla soft server from Mickey D's or Sonic.

But check this out: this weekend, my ice cream pairing is going to be fresh sweet corn ice cream and avocado gelato. That's right. I said it.

glorm said...

Corn and avocado make a salad.

FirePhrase said...

Yes. Or a bowl of creamy goodness. Maybe. We'll see. It could work. Maybe.

TIME: Quotes of the Day