Friday, July 16, 2010

Getting to the belly button of the issue

Okay, have you seen the thing about the scientific study that says that black people have high belly buttons and that’s what makes them good runners, and white people have low belly buttons and that’s why they swim well, but we’re not racist even though we said black people and white people, and it’s heredity and that’s scientific, so quit looking at us like we’re Jimmy the Greek? It’s one of those things that people wonder about, and can mention in a stand up routine, but people get edgy about it if a scientist tries to explain it. With good reason. Science is second only to religion in being misappropriated to excuse people’s prejudices.

Though the low belly button and swimming thing does kind of make sense. Look at Michael Phelps. That boy’s basically built like a dolphin. All torso, with little flipper legs down there at the bottom. But then again, I’m a white girl with a really high belly button, and I can’t run for shit.

Anyway. Did they have to go there with the color thing in their study? Probably not. Did it add much to our understanding of biomechanics or are they going to come up with backroom belly button doping procedures? They could have done their study and said, “Everybody who’s a good swimmer to the right. Everybody who’s a good runner to the left.” Then did a quick belly button check, and that would have been plenty. And perhaps, one might have made note, in passing that there was a certain color gradation in the two groups. In an “Oh, ha ha, isn’t that interesting yet completely insignificant and not worth mentioning in a board published scientific journal” kind of way. And then JUST DROP IT.

9 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

WTH I did not even know bellybuttons could be low/high just knew outie/innie NOW I have one more thing to be self-aware about - great...

FirePhrase said...

Oh, I definitely have a high belly button. Apparently it causes a high center of gravity. In addition to making low-rise pants a disaster for me, it explains why I fall over so much.

glorm said...

Hmmmm--wonder if belly button location will be a question at Match.com?

FirePhrase said...

SM w/ low BB ISO SF w/ hi BB 4 LTR. Outies need not apply. Send picture of BB.

glorm said...

Hilarious!

victory4angela said...

How do you know if it's high or low? Mine is where it is so how do I know if it's high or low? Is there a measurement or something?

I can run or swim for crap so maybe mine is in the middle!

FirePhrase said...

I know mine is high because I can wear "moderate rise" pants and my belly button is still way above the waistband. Even just low-rise pants look really whorey on me. Not necessarily a bad thing. But not really a look you want to floss into work wearing. At least not the kind of work I do.

glorm said...

The bb in this photo seems high, very high, to me. It is at the natural waistline. Mine (for reference) is about 2 inches below my natural waistline.

I always thought they were in the same general area for everyone. Ah, the things we learn from FirePhrase!


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navel

FirePhrase said...

There's wiki for belly buttons. I know I should have known, or at least suspected this. There's a wiki page for everything. But, still, I'm surprised. I mean, it's a belly button. Though, right button on the right belly and, sure, I'm a fan. Though I don't care for augmentation. A good belly button doesn't need it. And a bad belly button can't be saved by a 4-color sun tattoo and a CZ barbell. Hmm. Maybe there's more to be said about the BB than I thought.

TIME: Quotes of the Day