Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Ah, Taro Gomi, how wise you are

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/coffeesmysteriousbenefitsmount

Okay, this is kinda gross, but I’m going to throw it out there anyway. Doctors are mystified on what’s causing the health benefits of coffee consumption. Is it the antioxidants? Is some other compound?

Uh, guys? I think, at least in the realm of cancer prevention, there’s probably a much simpler answer – coffee is a laxative. And given the fact that most Americans don’t get enough fiber, eat too much meat and cheese, don’t get enough healthy fats or exercise, 2 cups of coffee may be the only thing in their overall diet that stands between them and a blocked colon. One of my life philosophies is that a tidy colon is a happy colon. I’m thinking of embroidering it on a pillow. And if one is keeping things tidy, that would mean that there are fewer toxins floating around one’s intestinal fortitude. Fewer toxins = fewer carcinogens. Ta da! Mystery solved. Where’s my grant money?

4 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

think you are onto something BIG

FirePhrase said...

Every time I read one of these articles, I keep thinking, "Is anyone going to mention the elephant?" Would seem to be as easy as, ahem, putting 2 and 2 together.

glorm said...

As I'm sitting here drinking my second cup of coffee while reading the article, I suddenly feel healthier. Would be nice if coffee counteracted all the bad things I eat.

FirePhrase said...

Coffee is magic! Of course I'm saying that on my way back for my second large iced coffee of the day. I could be a little hopped up.

TIME: Quotes of the Day