Wednesday, April 7, 2010

How to explain . . .

Well, here’s the difficulty I’m having with the new way of eating. And, my hand to heaven, I swear I’m not whining. I’m just trying to figure it out. I’ve settled into a habit. Hopefully long-term to lifetime. I can’t say I’ve made peace. I still really wish I could eat junk food. I think of peanut butter crackers wistfully. I stare longingly at the Taco Bueno as I drive by. And it’s not that I won’t ever do those things again. I will go for broke now and again and eat something so chockfull of every food additive known to man that it comes close to being weapons grade. Hell, yeah, I will.

But I can’t do it as a general rule. When something is made patently obvious, like that I don’t have a digestive system that can handle that stuff, you just kind of have to go with it, or you’re really just being stupid. And Mama didn’t raise no fools.

My big issue is with how to explain this. When someone offers me a bag of chips, or a plate of Oreos (dear heaven, I love Oreos), and I have to turn it down, I sound like a fussbudget, even to my own ears. Especially since it seems like everyone asks “Why?” And saying I’ve cut out most processed foods is being taken as judgmental by some people. Which it isn’t. This is what’s working for me. I don’t know if it would work for you. You’d have to try it. And it’s a big hassle to try. Reading labels, and making sure you have food available most of the time that’s okay to eat. There’s a reason they call those things convenience foods. They’re CONVENIENT. If I wasn’t convinced it was worth the effort, I certainly wouldn’t be doing this. But with everything that’s in the media right now about high fructose corn syrup and super calorie foods and the risk that the Naked Chef could show up at your house to do a food intervention (or worse that Jillian lady from Biggest Loser - she scares me), I think people are just getting a little touchy on the subject.

I’m almost tempted to say I have food allergies. Which is, like, just this side of the truth. It’s almost true enough that I don’t feel like a big liar. And people accept food allergies without thinking you’re making some sort of big political/food statement. Because, really, I don’t want to be in this debate. I’m not a good poster child. I just want to go quietly eat my apple, and look at you with jealous eyes as you eat your Oreos. And I still swear I’m not whining.

6 comments:

glorm said...

What's bothering me is not so much your answer but that they are asking "Why" when you smile and say "No, thank you" to whatever is being offered.

You can always try the "Maybe later" phrase.

In a chat room a subject came up I thought was better to avoid, so when asked my opinion I just said that I didn't have an opinion. The person asked "Why not?". Huh? It's enough that I didn't have one, so why would anyone ask why I didn't?

I just don't get this.

jb, Don't deprive yourself too much of the food goodies in life. One Oreo cookie will taste like six. Ah, yum.

FirePhrase said...

Once upon a time, a simple "No, thank you" would suffice. But this is a time when people have no problem asking why you don't have kids or how you voted. In a tell all society, people feel like you're keeping secrets if you don't just blab all. Miss Manners is appalled, I'm sure.

And I am definitely going to grab some gusto occasionally. But Oreos are a trigger food for me. One leads to six, six leads to a bag, a bag leads to a trip to the grocery store. And those little 100 calorie packs are just no substitute. I'm going to have to restrict my one Oreo to when I can get a safe buffer zone between indulgence and over-indulgence.

glorm said...

Once again you are guiding me into the 21st century. Thank you.

FirePhrase said...

Well, you and me could try hiding in the 20th century, Glo. Maybe sometime around the 20s. Whatcha think? Back when a lady's icy stare was enough to let someone know they were encroaching, and not telling everything you knew was a sign of good breeding.

I think that "tell all thing" is really obvious on those dating shows like The Bachelor. About 4 shows in, the guy will say something about one of the girls to the effect that she's "holding back" and not "sharing herself". Uhm, yeah. Cause she just met you 3 days ago. But the fact that she's not giving her entire life story to a complete stranger is seen as a sign that she's not honest enough. Frankly, yuck.

WashingtonGardener said...

I'd go with 'no thanks, I'm full' or like glorm said 'maybe later' - lying about food allergies opens up a whole conversation avenue and could find you soon down the rabbit hole...

FirePhrase said...

Yeah, the food allergy thing would be a dicey gambit. Of course the 'not hungry' thing is as big a lie. I'm always hungry. I just need to be able to say 'no thanks' without looking like I really want to say 'yes please, I'll take all of them.'

TIME: Quotes of the Day