Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A sheep of a different color

Okay, this is so wrong. But I totally want to do it. I can’t. But I want to. It won’t fly at my work place. It would not fly as an usher. Most of my family would just roll their eyes. And lets face it, their eyes are still rolling from the no-processed-foods and no-TV thing. They just do not get why on earth I do these things. My family is pretty mainstream. Extremely mainstream. It does not take much to be the family oddball. And actually, it’s pretty much the same at work. It’s really not so much that they want to do offbeat things and don’t out of fear. It’s more that offbeat things would never occur to them in the first place. And when they see it, it pretty much doesn’t compute.

And I’m not talking anything too extreme. Cause all I really want to do is dye my widow’s peak green. Remember a couple of months ago when I was whining about my widow’s peak coming in gray? And I said something kind of offhand about dyeing it green? Well, I’ve kind of gotten obsessed with that. Like I really, really want to do it. Would not fly. Want to do it. It’s not like shaving my head. Or piercing my tongue. Or going full goth. It’s just a little color.

But I think it would make me happy. I’m bored. I’m becoming boring. Maybe it’s my mid-life crisis. Maybe it’s what I’ll do instead of cruising college bars looking for a boyfriend or taking up skydiving.

But no "maybe". I won’t. There are only so many things you can do when you are just a little odd. I’m not full-on kookie, I’m just kind of on the edge of the main stream. Not really the black sheep. More of a sandy sheep. Or, given one crazy moment and bottle of green food coloring, a green sheep.

5 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

>> It’s more that offbeat things would never occur to them in the first place.<<
It took me a LONG time and much head-butting to realize that certain people have no in-born powers of creativity. I think one day it will be a diagnosed disorder akin to Autism.

PS As much as I like green - I just don;t think it'll be flattering - go for that old lady blueing syuff that makes gray hair turn blue/purple :-)

FirePhrase said...

I kind of always thought that other people were just constantly supressing their impulse to do something different. But the older I get, the more I realize that a lot of people don't have those impulses at all. And really would prefer it if you didn't either.

I'm really stuck on the green thing. It's just this vision I have in my head. Kind of like when you want chocolate. Somebody could hand you champagne and caviar. Which is nice. But it isn't chocolate

victory4angela said...

You should have done it right before St. Patty's day then you could have used it as your excuse to try it out.

Yep, I am not that creative. I scrapbook and do other stuff but those people who have talent in those areas just amaze me and make me jealous. I also don't have many crazy impulses but I do admire those who do. It's hard with such a Baptist/conservative background to be a little edgy!

FirePhrase said...

Oh, you never know. You might be sitting in some conference room some day, and think to yourself, "You know what this meeting needs? More cowbell." Then there you are. Standing on a credenza, soloing. On the cowbell.

Or you might just decide that the kitchen would look great with neon green walls and a disco ball.

Baptists can have fun too.

victory4angela said...

Oooh, now I need to get a cowbell just in case I suddently feel the urge. My friend gave me a burping pen that sits on my desk - I need to bring that puppy into my next meeting too. Either choice sounds like fun.

TIME: Quotes of the Day