Wednesday, February 24, 2010

True Confessions

Well, it’s been a week. It’s been a loooooong week. And I’d say I’d rate myself as 95% successful. I fell off the wagon twice. Once on each count.

The food has really been the easier task so far. I’ve been enjoying the home-cooked meals. Even if I did have to cook most of them myself. And my baked goods are just scrumptious, thank you very kindly. But this is the area where I deliberately and with malicious intent broke the rules. I snapped. Ate half of a Choxie coconut and dark chocolate bar. I did it. Enjoyed myself too. Guilt is delicious.

I blame the fact that I’ve completely got no idea what I’m doing as far as calorie count. You know, when you’re trying to keep track, packaged things have those handy little nutrition labels. Oranges do not. And I think I’ve been low-balling my calorie intake. Not good. When I get to the end of the day, and I haven’t quite made my numbers for the day, and I’m sitting around not watching TV, I’m really vulnerable to sneaky chocolate bars with delicate wrappers that you can just tear right off and that call my name from the pantry. Lesson learned.

The TV thing has been much harder, and made me incredibly irritable. It’s like somebody took my pacifier away from me. And I really have not been handling it well, in spite of a lot of support from friends and family on this. But I did not intentionally watch TV. I was looking at Yahoo, and saw a link for something that looked interesting, which I clicked. And 30 seconds later, while I’m watching the little video “this week in something or other” clip, I suddenly realized, “Oh, this is TV.” Just kind of happened.

But, I’m not going to let it derail me. I’m back on the horse. A little warier, a little wiser. And all the more determined that I’m going to make this work. These are deep habits. And it’s probably unrealistic to expect I’ll be able to make it through this with no mistakes. Like the song says, “Pick yourself up, brush yourself off, start all over again.”

2 comments:

victory4angela said...

Keep it up and don't punish yourself over either slip up. Like I said, I could only do this if I was far away from my normal work routine, such as a relaxing spa where the cooks make my food and there's more to do than work and watch tv (like hike or take yoga or read by the fire someone else prepared). YOU CAN DO IT!

FirePhrase said...

Thanks, I needed the words of encouragment. I haven't actually slipped like this before on one of these. And to do it this early is a little embarassing. But I'm trying not to follow my normal impulse and catastrophize over this. It's the journey, right?

TIME: Quotes of the Day