Monday, February 22, 2010

Off the shopping list.

Okay, I know I’m harping on the skinny model thing. But here it is again. From Tommy Hilfiger’s last show at Bryant Park. This young lady is wearing a cabled turtleneck sweater, paper-bag waist shorts and ankle-length, hiking-styled boots. And she still looks painfully thin.

Do you know what would happen if I, a normal-sized woman, tried to wear this outfit? I would look like somebody needs to tie ropes to my wrists and lead me down 5th Avenue at the Macy’s Thanksgiving parade. Balloon city. H. R. Puffenstuff. I would have to be eligible for a 72-hour psychiatric hold to think that in any way, shape or form I would look good in that outfit.

Which leads me to believe that Tommy Hilfiger clothes are not cut for one such as I. Why would I even look at their clothes? And in a mass market brand, to be removed from the mental shopping list in one image is probably not a good sales ploy. I’ve bought Hilfiger in the past. But now I’m thinking they are going in a direction that I (and my normal-sized butt) can’t follow. I don’t think every line is for me. Bebe, Juicy Couture, L.A.M.B, anything from the Olsen twins. Too young, too thin, too pricey. But Hilfiger is a brand that’s built its empire on being something anyone who is deluded enough to think they can “pull it off” with a youngish, preppy-ish, hip-ish look. That would be me. And a lot of other middle-aged people.

And I can be fooled by a size 6 into thinking “I might look good in that outfit”. Maybe even a size 4. But a girl who the size 0 probably hangs on? Nope. Sorry. Deluded, but not that deluded. And I wouldn’t even want to try. Not to be that thin, or to buy those clothes.

6 comments:

victory4angela said...

What's amazing to me is that Americans are getting FATTER and designers still make clothes for barbie dolls (not women who look like barbies because with the big boobs and big hips, even they wouldn't be able to pull this look off). I mean actual barbies.

I could wear the sweater and the shoes and that's about it. Again, where are the nice clothes for early 40-something woman who doesn't wanna look like an old lady? It's frustrating!

FirePhrase said...

I might be able to pull off the sweater, in a size or two larger than I usually wear. Cut that close, it would be like a neon sign pointing to my love handles. And I could probably wear the shoes, as long as I didn't have to walk more than 15 feet at any one time. But those shorts would be a not now nor has ever been.

The super casual clothes are pretty easy. But try to find anything for work that doesn't make you look like a rectangle, or like you're on your way to a covered dish dinner at the church for the Over 50s Ladies Prayer Group. There hasn't been a good change in that area since the twin set came back. And who isn't tired of those?

victory4angela said...

Well, yeah the sweater would definitely have to be two sizes larger for me. I thought those shoes were flat "duck" shoes but upon a closer look, they look like they have a heel. Ugh. I would never wear those shorts. The paper bag look happened in the 80s and I probably had a pair of pants with a similar waistline. Looking back at pictures of me from that era, i can honestly say, "What was I thinking?!"

FirePhrase said...

I know I wore paperbag waist pants. And I rocked the hell out of them. With the boyfriend jacket (sleeves rolled) and pointy-toed boots. There may have even been a hat involved. It had it's moment. And luckily, I was 19 at the time, and could rock with impunity. I'd have to check. But I don't believe I'm 19 any more. No. Pretty sure I'm not.

WashingtonGardener said...

her knees are disgusting - gladshe has onhose - was going to ask if you are watching robert verdi show on logo - his comments on this are hilarious - hope you are tivoingit

FirePhrase said...

No!!!! I forgot to set it up before I went TV-dark. Shoot! Oh, well. It's Logo. They'll replay it a mininum of 300 times.

And on the knees - her legs look like they're made from Tinker Toys, with the round connector deal for the knees. Lovely girl. But she should think about pants.

TIME: Quotes of the Day