Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Not in the same weight class

So, I get an e-mail from a friend with this link to the Huffington Post (she’s one of those addicts) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/01/george-Cclooney-introduces_n_375192.html, that’s tagged “when I first saw this picture, I thought, Wow, Clooney is dating someone almost his own age.” But no. That’s his Mom. [Which, one, explains a lot. And, two, did she have him when she was 6? ] The dewy one on the other arm is the girlfriend. Snowball’s chance of him dating somebody age appropriate.

Not that it’s to the point of gross. This isn’t Jack Nicholson and anyone of the string of chippies he’s dated since he stopped seeing Angelica Huston back in the 80s. Which is gross. Clooney is a good looking guy who takes care of himself (and evidently swam out of a deep gene pool – and hold on just picturing that – heh-heh-heh – ooo yeah – okay, I’m back). In fact, he treads really close to that “no men prettier than I am” rule that I have. So it’s not like he can’t get 20-year olds, or would look ooky with one.

It’s that he wants to hang around with them. Bless their hearts, 20-year olds can be just cute as bugs. But have you tried spending a bunch of time with them? After awhile, you just want them to go away. Exhausting, and a little boring. Sure they’re bright and shiny. But so’s a sparkler. And you can only wave one of those around so long.

By the time you’re George Clooney’s age, you should have some life experience. Some thoughts running around in your head. You’ve got some game, and you’d think you’d want to challenge yourself a little bit in your choice of partner. Dating way below your age range just seems, I don’t know. Lazy? It’s like Troy Aikman signing up to play Pee Wee football.

Okay. Who am I to judge? It’s not liking he’s slipping the ruffies and taking advantage of them. He’s dating consenting adults. But I have to say, it does make him a lot less attractive.

7 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

He wants "easy" as is nonchallenging and nonstressful - they will take his BS and not demand better - cause they don't know any different.

FirePhrase said...

You're totally right. Nothing says, "I'm full of crap and have zero intention of doing anything about it" like dating someone that much younger. Red flag.

Unknown said...

You're also forgetting that a 20-something is more likely to provide him with the hero worship his ego so obviously needs, than put up with the BS of him leaving his undies on the floor or the toilet seat up.

C'mon as we've aged, we've gotten a lot less likely to put up with crap than when we were young an impressionable.

Unknown said...

I forgot I'm logged into my other Gmail account. This is Angela!

FirePhrase said...

I guessed right!

Yeah, the level of BS tolerance does tend to go down. The female version of growing a set. And everybody should be called on their BS every once in awhile. Keeps you honest. Anybody who makes deliberate efforts to keep their BS intact is deeply suspect. There's a big difference between a girl who's low maintenance, and a girl who's just a doormat.

victory4angela said...

Just received this joke from my bro-in-law. Thought it was appropriate (and Tiger should've thought about this!):

After being married for 44 years, I took a careful look at my wife one day and said, "forty-four years ago we had a cheap apartment, a cheap car, slept on a sofa bed and watched a 10-inch black and white TV, but I got to sleep every night with a hot 25 year old girl".

"Now I have a $1,500,000 home, a $45,000 car, nice big bed and plasma screen TV, but I'm sleeping with a 69 year old woman. It seems to me that you're not holding up your side of things".

My wife is a very reasonable woman, she told me to go out and find a hot 25 year old girl and she would make sure that I would once again be living in a cheap apartment, driving a cheap car, sleeping on a sofa bed and watching a 10 inch black and white TV.

Aren't older women great? They really know how to solve your mid-life crises.

FirePhrase said...

The other side of it is that 44 years ago, he may have been in bed with a 25-year old, but they probably weren't doing a whole lot of sleeping. At 69, that's about all that would be going on.

TIME: Quotes of the Day