Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Bears have the right idea

I always feel myself to be in conflict with the winter-lovers this time of year. The temperature drops and they get all happy. The walk around with these contented smiles, saying cheery things like, “Doesn’t it just feel like the holidays?” No. It feels like I’m freezing my ass off.

Here in Dallas, I really shouldn’t complain. We get “seasons” (blech). But for the most part they’re all pretty mellow. The summers aren’t as hot as Arizona. The spring isn’t as wet as Florida. The fall isn’t as windy as California. And we aren’t a dimple on the butt of a Michigan winter. We get a little bit of all of it. But, thankfully, not a big old heaping helping of any of it. Even our tornado season isn’t as rowdy as our neighbors to the north.

It’s just I don’t like cold weather. And I have trouble understanding people that do. And they’re just so happy about it. My hands are turning blue and they’re ready to frolic in the park. Freaks. Plus cold weather makes me cranky. And I do things like call people freaks because of the alternate lifestyles. Some weirdoes even like the “S” word. [Don’t say it. Don’t think it. If you say the “S” word, it might hear you and come looking for you. Double ugh.] Personally, I think there must be a medication for that.

Guaranteed, I’ll be in the elevator at some point I’ll be in the elevator, and the information screen will show the forecast. “Oh, look! A high of 43 on Friday! Isn’t that exciting?” Breathe deep. Calm. Don’t say it.

Freak.

9 comments:

momo said...

You are clearly conflicted ... you SAY you hate being cold, YET you won't turn on your heat when it is 50 degress in the house. I think you are a closet northerner !!!

glorm said...

Some people I know aren't happy unless it's at least 100 degrees. Fifty is cold in the house. Turn on your heater!

FirePhrase said...

Actually, I did over the weekend. Though it's at 67. Personally, I need a sweater at 75. But I'm not a closet northerner. I'm a loud and proud cheapskate.

WashingtonGardener said...

I'm with FP both on the cold-hating and on the cjeapskate delay of turning on the heat - I just got my electric bill for Nov - it has been a windy & bitter month with little sun - ugh!

FirePhrase said...

Honestly, if I could find a bicycle pwered space heater, I'd buy it. I'd pedal my fanny off. Both senses.

victory4angela said...

I once went to Boston in JANUARY and learned to appreciate the difference in what cold really is. I took a short walk on my first day to check out the neighborhood. I wore layers upon layers upon layers. I turned about and went back when my nose couldn't take it anymore.

I got back to MD and it was a balmy 35 and I was so warm! My [male] co-worker thought I was nuts because I was happy about it. Trust me, nothing is as cold as below 0 degrees.

I don't mind the cold, but I've got to get used to it slowly. I'm not there yet, especially since it's been 70 one day and 32 the next. I sorta hope it snows tomorrow like they're saying-pretty!

FirePhrase said...

I lived way out on Long Island, right on the Sound, for 2 years. I never want to be that cold again. And that's nothing compared to the real stuff like Canada. I don't think I'd ever get used to that. Chills my tschatkes just thinking about it.

Unknown said...

Mike's grandma lived in Vermont right next to Lake Champlaign on the Canadian border. We only visited her for Thanksgiving. NEVER Christmas. The last time we went, there was a foot of the snow on the ground when we arrived. The "best" part was most everyone slept in the unheated attic because she didn't have enough bedrooms downstairs.

Let me tell you, when you're cozy and warm in bed you will think twice about whether you REALLY need to get up to go to the bathroom when you don't have any heat. Brutal!

FirePhrase said...

Ohmygod. My bladder just shrunk down to the size of a TicTac, just by you saying that. Cold and having to pee. It's the WORST!!

TIME: Quotes of the Day