Monday, December 21, 2009

Keep me searching for a heart of gold

Okay. I’m taking a stand. I will not be seeing Avatar. I waited until the reviews were in to make the final determination. It was entirely possible that my deeply held beliefs that James Cameron is a complete hack who has had one or two lucky breaks in his career, and existed on complete flim-flam ever since was coloring my perceptions of one of the weakest trailers I have ever seen. It could be that this titanic (snort) budget released some hidden artistry in Cameron and lead to a cinematic tour de force. It could happen.

But uniformly the glowing reviews have come down to “sure it’s weak on plot, but look at the amazing visuals up there on the screen.” I’m pretty much a plot girl. I like having to think a little about what’s going on. Maybe if Avatar had been sold as a kid’s movie, I might have been a little more willing to shell out $9. But this is supposedly for adults. Or at least for people who are old enough to understand to follow something more complicated than good guys wear white hats. I’ve got nothing against razzle-dazzle. I loved the new Star Trek. But throw me a bone here. I need the story to be at least half as good as the show.

But I get it. I’m in the minority. Right now is not a golden age of nuance in film, and most people are pretty happy with boom-boom-pow at the movies. ‘s cool. And I don’t think James Cameron’s going to the poor house because I’m keeping my saw buck in my pocket. I’m thinking I’ll go blow it on Crazy Heart or A Single Man. I’ll skip the glitter and pan for gold.

7 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

$( - whoo you are lucky $10.50 ere and $14+ for 3D option. Even matiness are $8.50+ now :-(

Worth your money - The Road, Up in the Air and Its Complicated - so NOT worth it: Everybody's Fine

I'm thinking I'll see Nine over the holidays - looks hot

FirePhrase said...

I'm disappointed about Everybody's Fine. I'd planned to do that one since I no longer hate Sam Rockwell or Drew Barrymore.

The Road is scary to me. Like hyperventilate scary.

Let me know on Nine. I'm still stuck on "Daniel Day Lewis? Why?".

WashingtonGardener said...

Because DDL is a god.

The Road IS hyper-ventilate scarey - but we need to do that to ourselves once in awhile - keeps us on our toes and alive.

Uh, Sam and Drew do nothing you will like in this film - esp if you do not already think both are cute - save it for a LONG airplane ride or a flu-induced cable marathon.

FirePhrase said...

He may be god. But can he sing?

I'll probably save The Road for home viewing. That way I can hide under a blanket without getting weird looks.

victory4angela said...

I can only see movies like the Road at home so I can leave the room if I get uncomfortable. I am a wuss - I know! I wanted to see Inglorious Basterds, but will wait for cable so I can leave the room when necessary. It's wierd, but I loved Pulp Fiction and saw it in the theater (although I had to look away more than once).

FirePhrase said...

I thougth I was the only one who left the roome when movies got uncomfortable. When I was a kid, it was kissy scenes. So embarassing. I'd just run out of the room. Now it's violence that freaks me out. Reservoir Dogs made me woozy. And after seeing Saving Private Ryan at home I was darned grateful. I'da passed out.

victory4angela said...

I have mastered the subtle lookaway. I casually avert my eyes downward and wait for the audience to stop making noises. I've found that if I look at Mike he makes funny, grossed-out faces so I can always tell when not to look at the screen. If I'm alone, I just look away until I sense that the worst is over. At home I leave the room or decide it's time to play with the dog or cat.

Private Ryan was intense and I saw that in the theater. I glanced up every once in a while but I looked away a lot!

TIME: Quotes of the Day