Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Progress Report - Project Shakespeare

Okay, so my prep for the Shakespeare on Sunday proceeds apace. I found the half pint canning jars for the “meal in a jar” at Target. I broke the bank and got the Platinum Series Ball jars with the wide mouths. I liked that they were kind of squatty, and it would be easier to get your spoon in the wide mouth to scrape out whatever yummy goodness is in side. A whole $5.49 for 4 of them. And actually I bought 2, so we’re talking big money.

For the crocheted jar cozies, I found cotton yarn on sale for $1 a ball at Wal-Mart in a variegated rainbow color called “gum drop.” I looked on-line, but never found a pattern that rang my bell. The few I found were a bit too fancy, if you can imagine that. So, I grabbed my hook and started experimenting. My experience making amigrumi frogs really came in handy. After a couple of false starts, I got the bottom the right size, and from there it was pretty easy. I added a drawstring to keep things snug, and give it a little flair. I’ve got three and a half finished. And I’m very optimistic that I’ll have the full set done by the weekend.

Then recipes. I found a Paula Deen recipe for cornbread that I think should work. I decided that it would need to be pretty moist cornbread, since I don’t want it to act like a sponge and soak up the stew on top. And lord knows, Ms. Paula specializes in moist. I also found a green chile stew recipe that sounds pretty kickin’. But I’m handing off stew responsibilities, since it’s not really my forte. (Yes, I do feel it necessary to tell others what to cook. I'll calm down soon.) And I think we’ve landed on the cauliflower puree on the top. For dessert? The Washington Post came to the rescue today with a recipe for pumpkin sandwich cookies (whoopee pies) that sound ideal – seasonal and not too messy.

Momo is on tap for the wine. She’s a wine gal, so she actually cares beyond any old hooch, and is a good wine steward. Now I just need to peg somebody with responsibility for bringing a thermos of hot tea (looks like there might be some chill in the air – made to order). And we’re all set. Photos of the end results on Monday. Pity the show is getting, shall we say, “unfortunate” reviews. You can’t have it all.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

Is this crochet cozee washable? I can picture me scooping out a yummy bit and spilling it over the sides.

FirePhrase said...

It's the same kind of cotton yarn you use to make washcloths. So, machine wash, tumble dry on low. So far when I've used it for other purposes, it's been pretty durable. Yummy bit safe.

TIME: Quotes of the Day