Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Emperor is POed that somebody pointed out his naked butt

http://shine.yahoo.com/event/fallbeauty/image-of-ultra-thin-ralph-lauren-model-sparks-outrage-521480/

Boing Boing are my new heroes. Not afraid to name them and shame them. Ralph Lauren can put out these surreal images all they want. That's their right. But other people have the right to say, "Um, dood. That's whackadoodle."

What I'd like to know is, how is it that this image was photographed of what I have to presume is a rail-thin by normal standards model, and then someobody said, "Nope. Not thin enough"? Then they airbrushed her into something not-quite-human. And NOBODY NOTICED. I would have to assume that dozens of ad department people and dozens of Ralph Lauren people looked at this picture and JUST DIDN'T NOTICE that she looked bizarre. How screwed up is their perception that they can't tell normal from NOT NORMAL??

Here's the thing. I know women don't look like this. I've met real models. They don't look like this either. If it was possible to look like this, I would choose not to look like this. It is weird. And wrong. And kind of creepy. No. Really creepy. And I would be scared to buy Ralph Lauren clothes because they might make me look like Jack Skellington's best girl. I would think that maybe RL might be a little grateful that somebody had the balls to say "Um, Mr. President? The Bay of Pigs? Maybe not so much."

But the threatening? BS. Just plain BS. And I'm backing Boing Boing all they way. Here's the link:
http://www.boingboing.net/2009/10/06/the-criticism-that-r.html

Hit 'em up. Click like the wind. Pass it to your friends. Talk about it. Regardless of what some power mad merchants of surreality may try to tell you, it's still a free country.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

That is BS to sick their lawyers on them - take your lumps, RS. And next time empoy competent ad execs who won't let bizarre images go out.

FirePhrase said...

The "how very dare you" attitude just smells on this. Sure, nobody likes being called out. And the fashion industry has been called out a lot over the past few years. I think Lauren decided they wanted to fight back. Unfortunately for them, they didn't check to see if they had a leg to stand on first.

TIME: Quotes of the Day