Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Swagger

First off, I can’t recommend It Might Get Loud highly enough. And it’s not just a Guitar God movie, even though it is a really fascinating portrait of 3 rock-n-roll deities (Jimmy Page, the Edge and Jack White) of different ages. They also have a lot to say about creativity, coming of age, art, passion, fun and how you approach your life’s work. And, there’s something for the ladies in all that rock guitarist swagger – the Edge does yoga, try to picture it.

But in spite of all that lovely eau de testosterone, the part I found most intriguing was about creativity. Probably because I’m going through a slight creative cycle, I found these three artists approach fascinating. And a little scary. That three people who are so immersed in a creative life each find that they are frequently throwing themselves off the precipice when they start a project, not knowing when, how or if they’re going to land. It really doesn’t get any easier. You can be at the top of your game and still find yourself facing the creative abyss. Which makes it all the more bizarre that people put themselves through the creative wringer willingly. Again and again.

I find it also kind of heartening that the Edge has “I suck!” moments too. In the past, I’ve let the SUCK break me down. Maybe that feeling of I suck! is the ultimate creative monster. The thing that will beat the hope right out of you. And every time you pick up a paintbrush, or a Fender, or a pen, or a piece of fabric, or a balloon, intending to paint a landscape, strum a tune, write a poem, design a dress or make a balloon animal, you have to battle the monster. No matter who you are.

And I think, after watching this movie, one of the best weapons you can have at your disposal is a little rock-n-roll swagger. You can totally fake the suck monster out, and ballsy your way right past him. Cause, I think the suck monster might be a little stupid. ‘Course, I don’t know how much swagger I can muster. Then again, I don’t need enough to face an arena of screaming fans. Just enough to face a blank page, really. Gulp.

6 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

I was thinking just yesterday that SOME very successful people got that way BECAUSE they are vain idiots -- what I mean is that they were too stupid to listen to everyone who said the odds are so low, you'll never make it, you are not very talented, etc. and just did it anyway. They just thought their shite didn't stink and didn't know enough to question it.

The ones with SOME talent, smarts, etc. take a look at the odds and the potential heartache and give up before they start.

One of the many, many ways the universe is not fair.

glorm said...

Julie, This has nothing to do with your post. I have been looking for a Follow thingie on your page and cannot find it, nor can I find a Contact Me thingie so I could ask you about this. Oh, how I miss 360 (they had a lot of thingies), but that was then and this is now.

FirePhrase said...

Watching IMGL, it was a nice counter balance, that sometimes truly deserving people do rise to the top. And all three of them still get a charge out of what they do. Amazing.

FirePhrase said...

Hey, Glo! Yeah, I don't have my contact e-mail up on blogger, because of an "incident". Nothing heavy. Just some nonsense. I'll send you my real e-mail under separate cover.

On the follow front, I use the feature from the dashboard to add a new blog. But I think you can use the button up at the top of a blogger the page too.

Blogger is definitely less wiz-bang friendly than 360. I'm using a Facebook/Blogger combo to kind of bridge the gap.

WashingtonGardener said...

NOt that IMGL is not talented or deserving, but that many who exhibit that R&R "swagger" are not in that category.

FirePhrase said...

Agreed. NickelBack comes to mind, but that's my personal prejudice. And the word verification is hinting "crows". I wonder if they're suggesting Counting or Black?

TIME: Quotes of the Day