Monday, August 31, 2009

Scooch on over here

The weird thing about that Jason Mraz song "I'm yours" is that I'm not sick to death of it. It just hit some record for an ungodly number of weeks on the charts. And why wouldn't it? It's catchy as hell. I downloaded it. And I smile every time it comes on my iPod.

And I am notoriously fickle. When I turn on a song, I turn with a vengeance. I loved Train's Meet Virginia for about 3 weeks. Bought the album. Loved it. Then all the sudden, somewhere in the desert, I started to HATE that song. I ripped it out of my tape player and threw it out the truck window. It was like an autonomic muscle response. No thought. Just hit eject, and whip it right out into the Sonoran night. To be peed on by javelina's, I hope. If I'd thought about it, I wouldn't have littered. I blame Train and that hooky mass of cliche that was polluting my airspace. And forever after, I have hated Train with a passion that is only eclipsed by my loathing for Nickelback.

But, I'm Yours appears to be made of teflon. It's so happy and cheerful. It's like a warm hug from your not-real-bright boyfriend. So friendly and inoffensive it may have been written by Sanrio. It's like a vanilla Puddin' Pop given to you by Bill Cosby himself. And those are the very qualities that should make me want to fly it out the window of moving vehicle. And yet, and yet. Play it now and I would scat along.

5 comments:

glorm said...

Since I haven't followed the "latest hits" charts in years, I cannot comment on that. I can comment on your Favorite Music list, however, and what a mixture of music styles it contains. Could Peggy Lee ever have sung with Queen? Hmmmm--might have been interesting.

FirePhrase said...

I think Peggy Lee could have done a smoking version of Crazy Little Thing Called Love. Suh-mokin'.

FirePhrase said...

Oh, and you may have heard this song and not known what it was. If you've been anywhere like the dentist, the grocery store, a nail salon, an elevator, a mall, the international space station . . . it's everywhere.

WashingtonGardener said...

I LOVE that song - it'll never get old - like Mr Big's Be With U or one of the old standards - just catchy, sweet, easy to sing, and fun - who could ask for mpre?

FirePhrase said...

It's the kind of song that makes me practice my ukelele in hopes that some day I'll be good enough to sit on a beach and play a sing-a-long for my friends. I still SUCK by the way.

TIME: Quotes of the Day