Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Fashioning an image

Last night I saw a girl about half my age wearing a gray and black striped, scooped neck t-shirt, a very short, ragged, denim mini, and a pair of capri length black leggings. My first thought was, “how cute, how fun, how comfortable.” My second thought was, “but not for me.” When I was that age, I could have worn it. And, in fact, given the way fashion seems to be coming around again, I think I probably did.

Then I started to wonder, what would we wear if the only people who saw us were those who valued, loved and supported us? Would you dress to express your inner angels or demons? Would you dress like a teenager even though the calendar says you could get the senior discount? Would you chose comfortable over attractive? Would you wear nothing but black every single day? Or pink? Would you wear rainbow tights with your black power suit? Sweats and over-sized t-shirts or hot pants and tube tops? Or sweat pants and tube tops and hot pants and over-sized t-shirts?

If you knew that you would only be judged by the content of your heart and the work of your hands, would you dress like a firefighter, a child, a fairy princess, a whore, an accountant, a thug, a nun, a cheerleader, a fashion plate, a pinup, a clown? Or would you ever even again think about what you were wearing?

6 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

I'm not sure I'd do anything different 'cept in the summer heat I roll my shirts up and my shorts down while inside at the 'puter but I un-do the rolls before going out to get my mail and scaring the neighborhood kids.

victory4angela said...

I would definitely dress down a little more at work - or at least a more trendier business casual than typical "office attire". Of course, where I work now I can dress pretty much how I want. I may wear jeans tomorrow (on a Wed.) - but I'll think about it in the morning and see if I dare!

Half the time I can't find the clothes I want to wear anyway. Where do ladies our age shop??

FirePhrase said...

Honestly, I'd wear a tutu, a velvet jacket and cowboy boots to work tomorrow if I could.

But when I'm in the real world, I'm finding it's more about having an eye at a lot of different places, than being able to go to one store. I've bought stuff at Forever 21 and I've bought stuff at Chico's. Forget 40 being the new 30. 40 is the new tween. Too old for this. Too young for that.

victory4angela said...

I don't mean where do the other 40 y.o's shop - where does one go to find nice clothes that aren't boring or stuffy. Just nice, cute in a more mature way than the stuff for teens and 20s.

I am not ready for Talbot's or Land's End. No elastic wasted pants for me!

My word verification is "poked"!

FirePhrase said...

Talbot's. Ow. Don't go there. I'm serious. Don't go there. But then, I also can't go to Hot Topic any more. Or at least when I do, I have to pretend I'm looking for a gift. "Oh, my niece would like that . . ."

Though I guess this means there's a niche waiting to be exploited. You and me, kid. 40-something style icons.

WashingtonGardener said...

Hey Ang, my nieces have declared they will ONLY wear elastic-waist pants - LOL - and they are little fashionistas now -- definitely preoccupied with looking "right" now that they've hit school age.

I use to swear by Hit-or-Miss and Caual Corner with a bit of Fashion Bug thrown in for my work wardrobe -- no longer need to do that post-office life - back to my high-end,low-end ways now - meaning thrift stores and designer boutiques - a bit from each and mix it up.

TIME: Quotes of the Day