Thursday, April 9, 2009

Downed Lines of Communication

I’m without pay-tv this week (a long, stupid story that ends with my satellite dish laying on its side on the patio and cable being installed on Saturday). Which is fine. I’ve got a nice stack of books to keep me amused. And I’ve got a friend who’s covering me by DVR for the season finale of Life. The only things I’m really missing are the first ep of Harper’s Island (which I want to call Harper’s Ferry), and Kröd Mändoon on Comedy Central, which I’m pretty sure is Visigoth for “Brisco County Junior”. If anybody has those on their radar, give me a heads up if they are worth catching up on next week.

The only thing that’s been a big pill so far was the call I had to make to the satellite company to disconnect service:

Me: Hi, I need to disconnect my service. I don’t have access to the only place where I can put a dish any more.

Bridget the Call Center Associate: We’d hate to lose you as a customer. Is there a different package you’d be interested in?

Me: The place I lost access to was the only place your technician could get a signal, and I don’t have that any more. I can’t use your service. Unfortunately, I have to go to cable.

Bridget the Call Center Drone: Do you have a balcony or patio that you could use?

Me: Yes, I have a patio, but it doesn't face the right direction. I have no place to put your equipment that would work.

Bridget the Embarrassment to All Call Center Employees: What if I could offer you $10 off your long-distance service?

Me: I don’t have long-distance service, and your dish is currently $70 a month lawn art. And it’s ugly lawn art.

Bridget the Deaf Call Center Employee: So I’ll just note that you’ve accepted an offer from another service. Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Me: Apparently not.

4 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

UGh - I feel for you. I plan to catch Krod M. , wil give you a review.

FirePhrase said...

Thanks, WG!

WashingtonGardener said...

Instead of Krod last night I watched Harpers - as Krod reruns this weejend.

Harpers was "okay" I'll give it one more chance - not as Twins Peaks as I'd hope more playing it straight. And too many of the young brunette starlets LOOK THE SAME - it wasn;t until half way thru that I realized all the prvious scenes were diff girls bot all one - ugh! At least out a bow on one's head or something. I won't spoil for you who dies first - but you won't be shocked.

FirePhrase said...

Good to know. I'll give it a chance. But it sounds like they should have waited until the dead of summer re-runs to float this one. You know, when you're desperate for anything new.

Hopefully, I'll have my new cable installed with now bumps by tomorrow morning. I forgot that Comedy Central was the Land of Perpetual Reruns.

TIME: Quotes of the Day