Thursday, March 12, 2009

Nuts or just a little Nutella?

Because I know you think of me and Martha Stewart in the same breath, I wanted to share my domestic diva discovery of the week with you.

I’ve been trying to work down my pantry. You know how you’ll buy something thinking, “Oh, that’s a good sale. I’ll buy three of those to put in the pantry.” And then you end up with one or two (or in my case three) of them that you’ve forgotten about in there. And eventually, you end up with a pantry stuffed with weird ass junk that you wonder why you have it.

This whole no-meat thing seemed like a good opportunity to make a dent in the squirrel stash I’ve got going on. So for a few weeks, I’ve been trying to throw at least one thing from the pantry into every meal I fix. Beans and rice. Pasta and frozen vegetables. Faux tuna noodle casserole substituting fake Krab for tuna (Don’t try this at home. Not a domestic diva triumph.)

It’s been kind of hit and miss. But what I did discover is that, even if you run out of cookies, you can make remarkable cookie facsimiles using peanut butter crackers and a jar of Nutella. As I was snarfing down PB&Ns, I started thinking that perhaps Nutella could make just about any snack food into a dessert. Pretzels, popcorn, trail mix, potato chips. And that’s about where I snapped back to reality. Man that Nutella can really go to your head. Lucky, too. Because I’d been eyeballing the half bag of carrots in the crisper. What? I need to use them before they go bad. Stop judging me!

But seriously – Nutella, people. It’s the little black dress of the pantry.

4 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

The best is Nutella on Nilla wafers or graham crackers - dresses them right up to something decently edible.

FirePhrase said...

It's good on animal crackers. But too much work to paint them all. The graham cracker offers a nice surface.

victory4angela said...

Tastes awesome on crepes (which my very French friend likes to make for me on ocassion. Mmmmmm).

I have 3 boxes of corn starch because every holiday meal that I cook where I make gravy, I forget that I already have some and buy another box. What the heck can I use that stuff for? I doubt that it's good on Nilla wafers!

FirePhrase said...

Strangely, my niece and I were watching a science program where they made that stuff that has the water and corn starch that they kids play with (gak or goop or glop or something). It's a solid under pressure, but a liquid when it's not. Usually, you make a bowl. But they filled up a kiddie wading pool with it. And if they moved really fast they could run in circles on top. Very funny. Just think. A couple more Thanksgivings you could have enough corn starch for a kiddie pool full of gak of your own (or goop or whatever).

TIME: Quotes of the Day