Monday, December 29, 2008

Wheez the People

On Saturday, I made myself lay down and just stop. All afternoon. I’d sleep, drink orange juice, sleep, have a cookie, sleep, watch tv, sleep. Punctuated by a lot of couching, hacking, sneezing and hauking. Such a pretty image. I’d been dragging butt for a week and a half with a raunchy cold, and I thought if I just slept it off, I might finally kick the crud. Then I did much the same on Sunday morning, adding in crocheting frogs for my nieces (fantastically cute – I’ll post pics). But it was really just a re-group and get over this damned cold once and for all thing.

Being out of commission has its advantages. I missed the entire start of this round of trouble in Gaza. I hate trouble in that area. Freaks me out no end (I think it’s a hangover from my Baptist school days; nothing says Armageddon like trouble in the Holy Land). But I also felt like I accomplished nothing. You know how in the roll up to the holidays, you’re just a machine. Your whole weekend is nothing but checking items off your list – bought this, cleaned that, mailed this, baked that. After all that, it’s kind of hard to see laying on the couch, filling tissue after tissue and shotgunning Robitussin straight from the bottle as a real achievement. Woo-hoo kicked snot’s ass! Yeah!

5 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

Definitely want to see those crochet frog pix.
As to doing nothing - I say you earned it and I know I have to fight with the same "do something" urges - but I'm trying to change and learn to "just be."

FirePhrase said...

The worst part was that it was sunny outside after 2 weeks of gloom. Wasting a sunny day just seemed like a tragedy.

Lazy is my natural state. I'm so used to fighting it that when I actually have a legitimate reason to do my favorite thing (lie on the couch and respirate), it feels like I'm doing something really, really bad. And not the fun kind of bad either.

victory4angela said...

I hope you feel better soon. There's nothing as bad as being sick on the holidays when everyone else is enjoying themselves. Seriously, feel better soon.

My brother came back from Killeen with the flu. I could say there must be something in the Texas air, but I came back from Austin feeling fine.

FirePhrase said...

Well, you must have experienced how nutso the weather has been in TX lately. Hot/dry, cold/wet, cold/dry, hot/wet. Ugh. It's impossible to acclimate to winter if winter only stays a day at a time.

I think I've turned the corner. Should be all set to have a glass of champagne on New Years.

victory4angela said...

I lived in Austin when I was 9 and Houston when I was 10 and we visit a LOT, but I forgot how crazy the weather can be. As my brother-in-law heard a Texas weatherdude say, "If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes and it will change." It was 30 degrees when we landed on 12/16, got to 80 degrees on 12/18 and hovered around 70 for a couple of days before dropping back down to near 30 when we left. I wore shorts, sweaters, a winter coat, and a bathing suit all in the span of 12 days!

Glad you're ready for the champagne. I better go to World Market tomorrow for some wine!

TIME: Quotes of the Day