Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Holiday Cheers

Happy Holidays to one and all! Whatever holiday you celebrate. I'm of a mind to celebrate them all. More jollies for me.

And as a holiday tip, I thought I'd share: I got an e-mail from World Market that they are running their Electric Reindeer wines for half-price. I don't know if pricing is consistent across the country, but in my neck of the woods that makes them about $2.50. And it's not a bad low-cost hooch.

But here's something I discovered last Christmas. We found a bottle of the Electric Reindeer White Zinfandel that had been shoved to the back of the cabinet. My guess is that it was 2 years old. I've always heard that the best rule for cheap wine is to drink it immediately. For the most part they don't age well at all. But we decided, what the heck? Popped the cork and found that this particular bottle had turned into something amazing. It tasted like a really expensive Sauternes. Sweet and full-bodied, like peaches and honey. Whatever magic can happen in a wine bottle did. Like an alcoholic Christmas miracle.

Anyway. If you can find the ER White Zin for a couple of bucks, I'd suggest buying 2. One to shove in the back of a cabinet and hope that you'll have a little miracle a couple of years from now. And one to drink right now, just for, ahem, comparison purposes. Cheers, y'all.

4 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

Unfortunately the World Markets here in Montgomery County, MD have NO wine on sale - yes, we are truly deprived.

I did enjoy some Kir Royale over vanill aice cream on Christmas night so I think I got my alcohol fix for the holiday.

FirePhrase said...

Oh! That's half the fun of the World Market. Cheap wine from Ecuador and the Balkan states.

Kir Royale and ice cream? Oooo. Nice.

victory4angela said...

I was so jealous when I went to World Market in TX last year and found wine on the shelves. Stupid MoCo and their antiquated, greedy alcohol rules...

However, the VA stores have wine and there's a World Market near my office. I'll have to get some ER soon.

I enjoyed some Riesling over the holidays and then made chocolate pots de creme with Grand Marnier - mmmm good (look for Rachael Ray's recipe in the blender).

FirePhrase said...

Mmmm. Pots de creme. Soooo yummy. A friend of mine does chocolate mousse with tequila. I know it sounds weird, but a very interesting dessert.

Have you done the wineries near Fredricksburg, TX? I'm planning a trip next year out there. I've had several wines from Hill Country that are pretty tasty.

TIME: Quotes of the Day