Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Unkindest Cut

I haven't seen Mr. Fox at the train station lately. I kind of miss him. Especially since the absence of his foxy locks has thrown the balance of power in the men's hair world off at my station. It's bad. There is Middle-Aged Ponytail Guy (who I'd bet good money doesn't work in IT but wishes he was that cool). There is the guy wearing the George Clooney cut (the modified caesar cut that even George Clooney doesn't wear any more).

Saddest of all is the denial guy. And I can see why he is in denial. That bald spot has to be a hard thing to face (figuratively). Because once upon a time, not long ago, he must have had great hair. Dark, silky, a little curly at the ends, just past collar length. He's only average looking, but that hair probably bagged him a lot of chicks once upon a time. Run your fingers through it hair.

But he does have a fairly significant sparse patch forming in the back 40. Lush hair framing a follicular crop circle. Ouch. I can see his dilemma. The only real way to shore up his fading crowning glory is to go shorter. Less weight on what's there would kind of fluff things up enough to disguise that bit "where the pillow rubs in the back". It's a good tactic. But he'd lose the best part of what he has left to do it. That's a hard call to make.

But it happens to us all. Jowls get draggy. Butts get less bouncy. A few silver strands among the gold. I've reached an age where I've made a ruling that I will never again be photographed in profile. The amount of contortion that it takes to make my double-chin disappear would challenge a 15-year old Chinese acrobat, let alone me. So, I feel for ya buddy.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

Good luck on that no profile photographs rule - I have ALWAYS had it myself BUT others do not cooperate -- witness, I was reading a news blog about the proposed Purple Line hearing - at whoch I gave a testimony last weekend and there was a pick of me in the crowd - fully from the side view - gee thanks! Out there now for the blogosphere to enjoy -

FirePhrase said...

You have my deepest and abject sympathy. Really, there should be a general "no profiles without prior written approval" rule. How many people actually look good in profile? I can barely tolerate being photographed at all. The least they can give me is not taking the shot that makes it look like I have a progressive case of goiter.

TIME: Quotes of the Day