Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Not So Great Debate

I had to limit my exposure to the debates last night. It’s the sort of girding my loins type of thing. I take a couple of deep breaths, brace myself, take a sip of beer, then turn to the CNN. Then I try to just tough it out. Hang in there! You can take it! But they just keep slapping me in the face - Lie! Evasion! Condescension! Pandering! Mud slinging! Then I have to quickly change the channel to something calming like, Flavor of Love: Charm School or the Secret Lives of Women, until I'm able to take another shot.

But I did catch the Huh-Wha? moment of the night. When John McCain said something like “And who voted for that legislation? That one.” Ooooo. Wince. I did take a second to evaluate whether it was a “you people” moment. And I honestly don’t think it was. I think it was a geezer moment. He just sounded like a crotchety old man when he pulled “that one” out of his pants pocket. Who says that? It was almost like he forgot Barak Obama’s name. Not an eloquent moment for the Senator from Arizona.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

"that one" is definitely a put down of the highest rank - he did not forget his name - he loathes him so much he did not even want to utter it. When he said it, I said to myself for the 10th time that night "what an a-hole"

And what is with the massive McCain shoulder-neck tension? the tight arm moves really telegraph "old man" from a stadium away

FirePhrase said...

Yeah, I got the feeling that, as James Carville said, those two really don't cotton to each other.

Honestly, I start to get the idea, the more I watch John McCain, that the kindest thing we could do for him is not let him be President. He's a heart attack waiting to happen.

TIME: Quotes of the Day