Thursday, October 2, 2008

Hittin' the dusty trail

I’m off again tomorrow. I’ll be heading down to hill country for a mini-vacay. We’re going to get some barbecue in Lockhart, or maybe Kyle, then head to the Aquarena in San Marcos for a little picnic and gawking. They have glass bottom boats. How frickin’ exciting is that? I’m down like a circus clown for the glass bottom boats. Though, evidently, because the Aquarena was taken over by Texas State University, they no longer have mermaids swimming under the boats, like they did when I was a kid. How very, very sad. Now they do some sort of eco-tour, and talk about fish or some crap. What!? No girls with fish tails swimming under the glass waving to me as bubbles come out their noses? What is the world coming to? We live in degraded times.

Anyway. Then it’s off to New Braunfels and Gruene Hall for . . . wait for it . . . yes! A Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers show! Come on. You knew it was coming. And the Gruene Hall show last year was among my favorite Texas experiences of all time. Wood floors, neon signs, screened windows and a great band. What more could you ask for? And this time since it will be early fall, in stead of the dog days of summer, it will be 65 degrees or so at night, rather than a godawful 102. Sounds like a dandy excuse to bust out the jean jacket. Sweet.

Then on Saturday, it’s off to Wimberley. Where they’re having a trade days. “Trade days” is the Texas lingo for a flea/farmer’s market. And this looks like a big one. I have great hopes of finding a trove of homemade pumpkin butter. I love a good pumpkin butter. And there’s a really good restaurant there in town. I can here their house taco calling me right now.

So Mo and T are along for the ride. And I have a cousin down in San Antonio who may run up for dinner. Sounds like a little bite of heaven, don’t it? Y’all have a great weekend. I’ll see ya Monday. Asta la heuvos, rancheros!

No comments:

TIME: Quotes of the Day