Monday, September 29, 2008

Sitting Pretty

Okay, I think it’s time to crow a little. I made a good decision. I was a little worried. I thought I might have been foolish. But turns out, not so.

I bought an ergonomic seat and back support for my office chair. The office chair that I refer to as a tool of Satan, a medieval torture device, the Marquis de Seat. My nemesis. I have pissed and moaned about this chair for about, what? 4 years? 5? When I come in to work on Monday, after my weekend break from the iron maiden, I feel fine. But by my second cup of coffee, I’m all crooked up. I’ve even contemplated buying my own chair to replace this thing. But then you get into the whole “not office standard” battle, and I just didn’t think I was up to that. And have you seen how much a decent secretary’s chair costs. Yeouch.

So I open my Tuesday Morning weekly e-mail, and danged if there wasn’t a picture of my exact chair in the advertisement, with this Obus Ultra Forme seat cushion strapped to it. Like even Tuesday Morning knows that this chair comes second only to waterboarding. So the 2 bits together come to $50. That’s a lot of money. But I’m desperate. I go to check it out. They have one at my local store, set up as a tester. Not bad. Cushy. But not too cushy. Me likes. I bought.

And after most of a day sitting in it, I’m pretty comfortable that it was money well spent. In fact, I did the numbers and amortized over a year at work, it actually works out to be about $.21 per week day. Believe me. I’ve spent money on far sillier things.

No comments:

TIME: Quotes of the Day