Thursday, August 14, 2008

Magpie

There are things that I'm obsessed with. And I tend to end up a lot of them. Mainly because I think that there is the "perfect one" out there. I have a lot of trouble making the distinction between "need" and "want" on my obsessions. Perhaps this one will be the one that fulfills all my dreams. That and I'm fickle.

Coats. I have a major coat obsession. Possibly because I hate cold. The work week jacket. The weekend casual jacket. The weekend dressy jacket. The heavy winter coat. The dressy heavy winter coat. The all-purpose, rain or shine, monsoon proof, yet not too bulky or too tight travel jacket. You get the picture. I have a leather biker jacket. And the almost exact same thing in pleather. Because some occasions are authentic leather. And some are ironic pleather. And one shouldn't weather leather to a pleather occasion. Obviously.

Sunglasses are on the obessessed short list. Hope springs eternal when it comes to shopping for the perfect pair of sunglasses. Shoes are on the list too. Will this be the shoe that goes with everything, yet doesn't pinch my toes or make my plantar fascitis worse? And purses. Don't get me started on purses. Purses are the work of the devil. Why did I think I needed a giant green leather tote bag? Not a subtle green. Very, very kelly green. Oh, yeah. That goes with everything. It mocks me from my closet shelf. Once, I had the perfect bag. And because it was quite perfect, I carried it all the time. So I completely wore it out. I shall never be that happy again.

Maybe be someday I'll get obssessed with collecting something useful. Like first edition books. Or krugerrands.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

OMG I'm a jacket-o-holic too!!! I think I own more jackets than actual shirts - the other day I had to physically restrain myself from buying yet another one - I was dwelling on WHY I love jackets so and think yes, I hate cold but also that jackets are the best designed and made wardrobe itemswe ladies have - pants NEVer fit right - nor do bras, most tops, etc. jackets rule!

FirePhrase said...

They are addictive, aren't they? I'm trying to stop myself from buying another peacoat. I saw one with a hood that just was making me crazy. Need? No. Want? YES.

TIME: Quotes of the Day