Wednesday, December 28, 2011

On behalf of God and myself, thank you

Okay, I realize I’m speaking as an agnostic here. But I did do my time in Sunday school. I have explored a variety of belief systems. I find much to admire in many of them. And I have a fairly well-developed notion of who I think God would be if such an entity does indeed exist.

Seeing that Awards season and the playoffs are just around the bend - here’s what I’d like to say:

God does not care if you won a football game. God does not have a stake in any professional contest (Super Bowl, Grammy, Oscar, Webby, MTV Moon Man, Plumber of the Year; okay, possibly the Tony. But only if Harry Connick, Jr. and Hugh Jackman both get nominated this year).

God cares that you play fair. God cares that you use the gifts that you have been given in a positive way (that is to say, to the benefit of your fellow children of God, not to buy a Bentley). God will help you show courage of your convictions. God may even send you inspiration when your creative well runs dry (but not if you are writing a song in which you praise smoking weed and abusing “bitches”). God is proud if you use your belief to help you be the best person that you can be, on the field, on the stage, in the recording studio, or under someone’s sink removing the Lego that fell down the drain.

So, quit thanking God. God does not give a rat’s ass.

4 comments:

glorm said...

This entry should be on the front page of major newspapers--and maybe the sports section.

FirePhrase said...

It may be less awful than attributing your desire to blow up a building to God, but it happens a lot more often. It's right up there with saying that God told you to discriminate against an entire group of people for "Things You Can Say That Will Make Your Deity Look Like A Complete Dick."

WashingtonGardener said...

I have said this for years, God did not "pick" your football team or TV show to "win" over others - so arrogant! Kathy Griffin hit it on the head: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgCjO51d8jw

FirePhrase said...

Definitely one of those "truth spoke in jest" moments. Though the "this award is my god now" was probably a liiiitttle gratuitous. Bless her heart.

Love my word verification for this:
duckle

TIME: Quotes of the Day