Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Not saving the date, as a matter of fact

I’m kind of having trouble comprehending why I should care about Prince William and Kate Whats-her-butt’s wedding. Much less why some people seem to be borderline obsessed. Somebody actually asked me if I was going to get up to watch it on the live broadcast. Uhm, no. I’d decline an invitation from a close relative if they had the sauce to try to get me up early to attend their wedding (any relative of mine should know better). And while Wills and Kate seem like a lovely young couple, and I wish them all the happiness in the world, please, stop, enough already.

And buying royal wedding memorabilia? What? Really? It’s a damn good wedding favor that I keep from somebody I know’s wedding. (Bookmark with your names on it? No. Straight in the garbage. Two words, folks, Jordan and almonds. Everybody loves Jordan almonds. And after sitting through a boring-ass ceremony, I need the pick-me-up.) But to actually go out and purchase basically a wedding favor with the picture of two people (thought admittedly attractive people) whom I don’t know and won’t be making it to Westminster Abbey for their nuptials? Nah.

Sure, I get as much fun out of the doings of the rich and blue-blooded as the next person (or maybe somewhat less considering the penetration into the meme-stream this wedding currently has), but this event is a 5-page People spread, at best. Pretty much, flip, ooo, she went with McQueen, flip, oh, look, Elton John, flip, hello, Harry, you naughty ginger, flip, flip, flip, what’s Sandra Bullock up to?

4 comments:

glorm said...

Yeah, my invitation got lost in the mail also. LOL.

Jordan Almonds? Yes! Haven't had those in years. Must look for Jordan Almonds.

FirePhrase said...

I know, right? They're just one of those so wrong/so right foods. Perfect for Easter, weddings . . . nope, that's pretty much it. Just Easter and weddings. But at the right moment, they can just cross your eyes.

Speaking of which, I am having such hard core Easter candy cravings. Have been for about 2 weeks. I'm trying to hold out until the candy sales after Easter, so that way I won't keep going back for more. But pink M&Ms. I just want 'em.

WashingtonGardener said...

Agree with you on the total noninterest Royal Wedding - and if one more no-nothing newscater calls them a "fairy tale couple" or "storybook romance" - I - WILL BARF. Really? REALLY! a decade of boring on-again off-again dating and then settling for each other before one goes bald? Yeah, that is something Disney makes films about alright.

But gotta disagree on the Jordan Almonds - stale and bland - give me personalized event M&Ms and I'm happy.

FirePhrase said...

Oh, yeah. And Disney princesses always wear see through dresses to catch the prince's eye too. Wasn't that in Cinderella?

M&Ms are a class touch to any wedding. And of course the ultimate is box of Mexican wedding cookies. But that's going the extra mile. But I find Jordan almonds are never amiss. The stale thing is part of their charm.

TIME: Quotes of the Day