Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Point Taken

Okay, I’ve devolved to the level of point grubbing. You know that thing where they track points for the shows I volunteer for at the Performing Arts Center? You get a few perqs for volunteering so many shows: priority scheduling, show tickets. I was never going to get to the highest level. 100 shows in a year? Maybe if I was retired. Maybe. But I am homing in on 40. And two of my shows didn’t show up on my point tally. And it was making me nuts. So nuts that I actually e-mailed the volunteer coordinator and pestered her for them. I’m so embarrassed.

Cause that’s really not how I want to see myself. At all. I really want to be this “Oh, whatever. It’s for a good cause. Que sera.” kind of person who just let’s the points fall where they may, and basks in the glow of a good deed done. It’s volunteerism. I'm above all that.

But the fact that there are levels, and I could get to another level, and they’re not giving my points – aaaarrrrrrggghhhh! It’s just turning me into a person I don’t want to be. Part of it is the goal oriented thing. And part is the priority scheduling. I can get in a day ahead of most other people? Sweet! I luv being first. And Rock of Ages is coming, and dammit, I want opening night! Gimmee my points! Gimmee gimmee gimmee!

See? It happened again. Seriously. I don’t want to be that girl. Because, really, it’s for a good cause. And the perqs aren’t the point. Really they aren’t. But here I am. Petting my point total like Golem at Tiffany’s. Honestly. I can’t even look myself in the eye.

1 comment:

glorm said...

I'm with ya on this one. Believe me, if I had any spare points I would give them to you.

TIME: Quotes of the Day