Monday, February 14, 2011

Sneaky little bastard

Okay, so I’m wandering towards the train this morning thinking about how I don’t have any idea what to do for Lent this year. Nothing really grabbing me. I’m about maxed out on my diet tinkering. Those are usually the easiest to do. Philosophically, I’m usually looking for something that may or may not be a permanent change, but that I would like to test out. The New Years resolutions are usually things that I’m sure about. Lent is more of a toe-in-the-water sort of thing. You can do just about anything for that length of time.

So, I’m thinking, “Something new. Something that I wouldn’t normally do. Something good for me. Like, oh, I don’t know, exercise or . . . oh, crap.” That’s exactly what I should do. Because I don’t want to. But I should. I despise exercise. Which is exactly why it is one of the bigger holes in my get healthy plan. The minute I thought “exercise” my whole body seized up with dread. So, of course. That’s it.

Crap.

3 comments:

glorm said...

Straighten me out: I thought Lent was about giving up something. Of course you would be giving up not exercising.

FirePhrase said...

My kind Catholic friends have explained that it can also be about adding in something good, as well well as giving up something. So, I'm taking the counsel of the wiser heads. If I was a more spiritual person it could have been praying or meditating more often. Or if I was even less egocentric, it could have been doing more for humanity. But, as we've seen, I can make anything about me.

glorm said...

Hahahaha---OK.

Thanks for the clarity.

TIME: Quotes of the Day