Monday, February 7, 2011

Neither rain, nor sleet, nor snow

Okay, I'm just kind of over it at this point. I'm kind of used to Dallas weather being . . . impish. It's kind of our thing. We live in a pinch zone for weather, where fronts can basically come from any direction and occasionally collide spectacularly. It's part of our kooky charm.

But this has been the 4th day in a row where the weather prediction has not just been off, but waaaaaay off. 6 inches of snow off last Friday. And by my count, they've been wrong 7 of the last 10 days.

Again, the weather here can be . . . capricious. I get occasionally being wrong by a long chalk. And I get getting it a tiny bit wrong frequently. If you're predicting 60, and it's 62, no harm, no foul. No big whoop. But there is a big ass difference between how you dress for 33 with possible icy rain, and 52 and sunny (that was yesterday, people). I do not mind preparing for weather. I do mind bringing a knife to a gunfight . . . because you told me it was going to be a knife fight. It's getting to the point where you have to carry around Mary Poppins's carpetbag in order to be prepared for what might or might not be blowing your way. Of course it seems to be the one thing you don't have to prepare for is WHAT THEY TOLD YOU.

All I'm saying is that obviously, something has changed. Perhaps it's time to look at the weather models and tweak that little ol' logarithm a little. Just a skooch. Because I don't mind you being a trifle off when our weather is . . . fickle. I do mind you being just plain . . . wrong.

2 comments:

glorm said...

This has been getting to me also. A lot of TV stations are going to seven-day weather forecasts. Seven? How about just getting a one-day forecast correct first!

How about the traffic situation yesterday? Did they handle that well?

FirePhrase said...

Traffic was a mess last week, but you can call it a Mulligan. Because of the Super Bowl, they concentrated most resources on the downtown Dallas, Arlington and Fort Worth areas. We in the burbs were last on the list. The freeze/melt/freeze cycle didn't help either. I was stuck Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. But by yesterday, it was clear as a bell on all highways and surface streets. And still clear so that all the football fans can hit the happy trail and say hearty "adios" to Dallas. Thank gawd.

TIME: Quotes of the Day