Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Vegging out

Okay. Well, it’s New Years Resolution time again. 2010 was the Year of Small Meals. And I would call this year a draw at moderately successful. I did pretty okay, but you know sometimes that thing called “life” would happen and some days were better than others. But I was pretty could about jumping back in the saddle every time I fell off. And that’s okay in my book. Of course, the Lent thing, which was supposed to be temporary pretty much stuck to me like glue. I’m about 85% off high processed foods. And I’m feeling pretty good (though I’m feeling pretty pissed about feeling pretty good – life was a lot easier when I could eat Lantz peanut butter crackers at will).

So. The diet thing has been working for me for resolutions of short or long duration. Dammit. I think there’s one I need to work on. The generally accepted recommendation of 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day. Dude. That is not easy. Especially given that I don’t like vegetables.

So here’s the plan. I’m going to have as a goal that by the end of March I will be hitting the 5 a day. But if it’s 5 pieces of fruit that’s okay. Then by the end of the year, I will be eating at least 3 vegetables and 2 fruits a day. And I’m not going to p**** out like some people do by counting dried beans. That’s just weak. Real actual vegetables like zucchini. Shudder. And I’m actually going to keep track of things, and chart my progress. Accountability!!

And, gawd as my witness, I will figure out a way to like vegetables. And vegetables for their own sake. Not just as a convenient method for ingesting cheese, sour cream and bacon (though one friend made brussel sprouts with bacon for Thanksgiving – you could hardly taste the sprouts). My Mom used to threaten my brother and I that if we didn’t stop fighting she was going to find a rope and tie us together kissing until we loved each other. Maybe if I tie myself to an eggplant I’ll have some sort of vegetable epiphany. I hope it doesn’t come to that.

3 comments:

glorm said...

I never liked the math of this: three meals a day and snacks. So if a fruit at breakfast, vegies at lunch and dinner, what, does that mean a vegie for the snacks? No way--snacks, are, well, snacks-- meaning the good stuff.

Being a non-vegie lover also, I wish you the best with this.

FirePhrase said...

Well, here's one way to think about it - Weight Watchers just made all fruit and veg free on their plan. So you don't really need to think about it as part of a meal, or a snack. It's just extra stuff you get to eat. I say "get to" like it's all you look forward to all day. Mmmmm. Zucchini. Be positive!!

glorm said...

If you can do it, so can I. (Well, at least try.) Maybe I can double up on the ones I actually like, such as zucchini. Hehe.

TIME: Quotes of the Day