Friday, November 12, 2010

Oh, Gwynnie

There’s an article on Slate.com about how hating Gwyneth Paltrow is hitting an all-time high. For the record, I don’t hate her. I think she’s a fairly decent actress. I’d say in the beginning she was over-praised for her English accent, but I haven’t heard her Eliza Dolittle it up since she married the genuine article, so maybe she’s improved. I will say her funniest movie (and my favorite of her oeuvre by far) is Sliding Doors. When she gets hit by the bus – I. Laugh. Every. Time.

So maybe I hate her a smidge. Nope. Hate’s a strong word. I . . . oh, let’s just go with hate. A smidge.

Why? Is it the marshmallow head on the toothpick body? Is it the Breck girl hair? The oh, that’s my husband, the rockstar, marriage? Is it that she burps and gets an Oscar for it? It’s kind of all that. Combined with the fact that she seems to have little to no awareness of her fortunate one status. It’s like she just accepts it all as her due.

It’s just statistical. Luck runs on a wide bell curve. There are going to be sad-sack motherf***ers out there who never seem to get a break. And there are going to be people who fall in horse crap and come out smelling like Chanel No. 5. The 99.8% rest of us just muddle around in the middle. But if you are one of the Fortunate Ones, the truly, truly lucky, it really does behoove you to at least have the grace to act like you’re deeply grateful, abashed, or even just a little surprised that you have it easier than 99.9% of the population (BTW – Taylor Swift? Master of the art.).

And that’s why every time Gwyneth Paltrow shows up at a red carpet wearing yet another dress that makes her look distinctly saggy-boobed, I smile just a little bit.

4 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

you know, I HATED HATED HATED GP in Shakespeare in Love - ugly as mud in her boy clothes and you call that "acting"? hah!

and yet... Inow like her - a lot - think she's earned her stripes and hough I finf her prattly about macrobiotic diets tiresome, gotta say she has matured and aged well into her mommy roles

FirePhrase said...

I think she'd annoy the tatas off me in-person. But as an actress she certainly isn't a deal breaker for me. Capable of doing interesting work. I probably don't cut her as much slack as I would if I found her more appealing. I hear she slaps Tim McGraw in Country Strong. Certainly a bold move in the likability arena.

WashingtonGardener said...

So how did u dog her on Glee last night? Thought she did well. Except for the Chicago number. Gangly limbs and bob fosse do not marry well.

FirePhrase said...

I haven't hit that yet. What with Pacino and Michael Feinstein on Tuesday and Wednesday, I'm way behind. I'm thinking I may order myself a pizza and bust my stash of TV on Friday. Is she an abysmal dancer? That would just totally make it for me.

TIME: Quotes of the Day