Sunday, August 8, 2010

A little green, a little gold

So here they are - coconut/avocado ice cream and sweet corn ice cream. The others at dinner liked the sweet corn ice cream more than I did. They seemed to think it was kind of like a frozen cookie dough. I was a bigger fan of the avocado. It had a much smoother texture and was very lightly sweet. I really didn't follow the recipe I found at all, so I'm going to call this my recipe, and share it:

Coconut/Avocado Ice Cream
  • 3 cups coconut milk
  • 3 avocados cubed
  • Juice of 1/2 lime
  • 1/4 cup sugar (can be doubled if you prefer sweeter)
Combine all ingredients and blend until smooth. Chill for 2 hours. Freeze according to your ice cream maker's directions.

Okay. That's not much of a recipe. But it's a super simple, super premium tasting ice cream. I used a variety of coconut milk called So Delicious that was in the refrigerator case with the soy milks. But there are shelf versions that would probably work. If you have a need for homemade ice cream and want to try something "different", it's kind of a hoot.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I use So Delicious coconut milk in all of my baking, and I recently used it to make a yummy vanilla ice cream, too. But avocado ice cream? How interesting! Did it taste like avocado? How did you make the sweet corn ice cream? I'd be curious to try that one, too!

FirePhrase said...

It had a faintly avocado flavor - that sort of silky/rich part of the taste, but seemed to lose some of the acidic zing. Winner with me. I luv avocados.

The corn ice cream was a recipe from Vegetarian Times that I used as written, so I didn't feel comfortable cribbing it here. But mostly it was blanched sweet corn, cashews, lime, agave, vanilla and salt. No eggs, milk or cream. You pretty much threw everything in a blender and whizzed it up. The consensus at the table was that it tasted like a frozen holiday cookie. Kind of like frozen cookie dough ice cream without the ice cream.

TIME: Quotes of the Day