Monday, August 23, 2010

A Date with Guy Noir

The big ushering gig for the month was a live performance of Prairie Home Companion touring show “Summer Love”. I had to miss Natalie Merchant the night before, but rumor has it that Natalie may be off her meds – NOT a good show apparently. But PHC was everything I could have hoped for. I’m not a huge fan, but I have listened off and on for over 20 years. And there were huge fans in the audience. A 2,200 strong, sold-out house. Some had even driven in from other states. There’s nothing quite like a “core fan base” crowd. They were ready for every song. In on every joke. And really just stoked to be seeing something they loved.

And even though I’m not a super fan, here’s what I do love about the show. It just shouldn’t work. The host is a gangly guy with semi-dry, yet playful sense of humor, and a fair-to-middling singing voice. He tells loopy stories about his hometown (that doesn’t actually exist). Sing jingles for sponsors like Powder Milk Biscuits (also, imaginary). He’ll take a minute to ruminate about lost loves, or sperm (seriously). They sing songs that are either corny sing-along classics, or obscure folky/tin pan alley chestnuts. They do radio plays. They make NPR jokes, for crissakes. Who does that? Nobody else on the planet. If you took this as a pitch to Hollywood, they would both laugh you out of the room and call security. But, for some reason, it flies.

There was one moment where Fred Newman, one of the PHC Foley guys, walks out with this thing on a piece of rope. He starts to spin it around his head (and if you’ve ever seen Exorcist 2, it looked like the thing that James Earl Jones uses to fight of the horde of locust – how’s that for an obscure reference? Pee Zou Zou!). It makes this sound like wind. Then he starts to do a languid, half-sung, half-spoken word piece about the summer, adding in vocal effects for crickets. It was a tiny tour de force, and completely stunning. Possibly the most absorbing 3 minutes on that stage this year. I’m not ashamed to admit, it was kind of a turn on, too. Can’t speak for anyone else, but I for one was feeling the summer heat by the end.

Anyway. Summer Love. Not an extravaganza. Not a visual stunner. Not a laugh, gasp or cry a minute. Just people performing what they enjoy with quiet, yet consummate, passion. There’s something to be said for it.

And that’s the news from Lake Woebegone.

5 comments:

victory4angela said...

I got my grandfather the cassette tape (does that date me or what) for Christmas one year. Apparently, he never opened it so I spent one visit listening to each tape. It was great fun. Too bad it was on cassette now because I don't have a cassette player.

FirePhrase said...

You can go on their website (www.prairiehome.org) and stream past shows. I recommend the jokes shows. On one show years ago, Chet Atkins (!) told one of the funniest jokes I've ever heard. Great road trip listening.

WashingtonGardener said...

something about GK's voice just puts me to sleep - coul never get into PHC - I figure maybe when I
am 65 I'll be all over it.

FirePhrase said...

It's great stuff for just before the Sunday afternoon nap. You just feel all warm and comfy and wanting a cookie. Come to think of it, I usually listen while I'm driving. Maybe this isn't something I should do while using heavy machinery.

I kind of love my word verification - bunderho.

victory4angela said...

Come to think of it, I used to pop the tape in before bedtime and drift right off to dreamland. Hmmm, wonder how much of PHC I actually heard!

TIME: Quotes of the Day