Monday, May 10, 2010

A night at the opera

I ushered for the Dallas Opera’s production of Moby Dick. A world premier, thank you kindly. Big D is getting full-time fancy. And this production is just so freaking cool I can’t even begin to tell you. There is digital projection of stars and water and ships, and rigging and ropes, and giant moving platforms, and a cabin boy flying through the air. None of it literally represented a ship at sea, but somehow it all came together to be more realistic that way. The way sometimes a remembered dream seems more real than an actual memory. It was just really exciting. You just kept thinking "can this get cooler?" And then it does! By the end, I was ready to wave my lighter, scream and throw devil fingers at the stage. Rock show exciting.

Also, I’m not in the “opera crowd,” so I don’t really know about these things, but are the opera guys usually that hot? There were two extremely good-looking fellas playing the Greenhorn and Starbuck. In fact, I’ve kind of got a crush on the Greenhorn. Cute and delicious voice – gotta love that. This was really far from my visions of chubby, sweaty Luciano Pavarotti-style singers. If this is the kind of eye-candy you get going to a night at the opera, I may be in like Flynn.

My only problem the whole night was a moment I nearly broke out in giggles. So, it’s all sailors and whaling, right? So, the sailors break out into a few bars of “Farewell and Adieu You Spanish Ladies.” Of course, for me, this automatically brings visions of Robert Shaw drunk behind the ships wheel, and Roy Scheider saying we’re gonna need a bigger boat. I don’t know how many opera patrons are big Jaws fans, but this girl definitely is. Hell, I was thisclose to joining in. But I definitely don’t think the Dallas Opera is ready for Rocky Horror sing-alongs. Though, come to think of it, they have those big screens projecting the words. A sing-along might actually work . . . Maybe I should bring it up at the next usher meeting. I could get usher of the month on an idea like that.

4 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

you asked "are the opera guys usually that hot?" - sometimes, yes, they are scorchingly hot - saw Porgy & Bess here recently and there was some fine men in that - but let us not forget also some stunning babes for the menfolk in the opera audience. Also in opera you get to see a lot of flesh and more than an eyeful of "drama" that makes Desperate Housewives look really rated G. It helps to pick and choose a bit and readthe reviews carefully. Just like all genre of theater there are stinkers and hits - I wouldn't judge all opera from going one time.

FirePhrase said...

As long as I can see them for free, I'll take all opera comers. I've got Madam Butterfly this weekend. The first one I did, Don Pasquale, was a snoozer.

But I really don't get opera. Lots of people hollering "If my husband finds you, he'll kill us". Well maybe if you stopped yelling at the top of your lungs, he won't find out. Then they sing the same line 6 times. But, actually, I'm okay with not getting it. It's fun to do something outside my comfort zone. And sometimes you get soemthing amazing like Moby Dick.

WashingtonGardener said...

same line 6 times - ever really listento any pop song - try 50+ times! LOL - Madam Butterfly - bring the hankies! I have to be mopped off the floor after that one.

FirePhrase said...

Duly noted. You know I'm a crier.

TIME: Quotes of the Day