Thursday, April 1, 2010

An Open Letter to Campisi's Dallas

Restaurant Manager
Campisi’s Downtown
1520 Elm St, Ste 111,
Dallas, TX 75201

Dear Sir or Ma’am:

I wanted to tell you about my experience today at your restaurant. I had a to-go order of one small pizza. Which obviously got lost. I waited quite awhile. But I did finally get my pizza. With no apologies, no explanations, and no offer to change my order to something you might have been able to produce faster when you figured out there was a problem. It was delicious.

I suppose if I had complained, you might have offered the apology or explanation. And the fact that I didn’t get ugly and quietly waited for my food probably seems like a good thing for you. Less hassle.

But here’s the thing - I won’t be back. Love your food. But I only have so much time on a lunch. I’d like to be able to eat without rushing. And I certainly don’t want to spend my lunch arguing with your counter staff. It’s bad for my digestion.

This is not the first time I had to wait at your restaurant. I decided today that it will be the last time. You’re a popular place. Losing one customer isn’t a big deal. But while I don’t complain to you, I will complain to anyone who will listen. Loudly. I know a lot of people who work downtown. I go to bars in the area, and really I have no problem bad mouthing you to a complete stranger. But still, I’m just one person. How much damage can I do? Just remember, there are a lot of quiet people out there who don’t complain. At least to you.

I’m not going to sign this letter. I’m not looking for some sort of recompense. Or even a response. I’m not sure you’d bother even if I did. All I wanted to do was share my experience. So you can just think of me as

A Quiet Customer

[And yes, in case you were wondering, this is how I decided to break my healthy food fast. And yes, I really am mailing the letter.]

No comments:

TIME: Quotes of the Day