Monday, January 25, 2010

Tripping the Light Fantastic

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100125/ts_alt_afp/usartaccidentpicasso

Wow. For once a museum piece is screwed up just because someone tripped, rather than because someone went bat guano crazy. Kind of a nice change.

Of course, it also gives me that moment of abject empathy. This is EXACTLY the kind of klutzo move that I would make. Walking through a museum, blabbing, not watching where I'm going, tripping over my own feet, and gouging a whole in a Picasso. I can actually see the slow-motionness of this happening - whaa-ahhhhh-oooohhhh-nooooooohhhhh! Ooops. Actually, I think it's less embarassing to be bug nuts. At least then you can blame the voices in your head, rather than your own two left feet.

2 comments:

glorm said...

You're not responsible for breaking off the arms of Venus de Milo, are you?

FirePhrase said...

Wasn't me!

Though I am completely responsible for causing about 20 people to join me in a bourgeois giggle fit over the (very anatomically correct) marble statue of a hermaphrodite in the Louvre. And I was giggling more over my initial reaction that it's actual parts. "Hmm, statue, bare-breasted, those crazy Greeks loved the nudes, hey, wait a minute, that's a . . . wait. Didn't I just see boobs? Yep. Boobs. And a . . ." Talk about a double take.

TIME: Quotes of the Day