Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Definitely not my Family Guy

I’m just going to throw this out there. I don’t get The Family Guy. Not my thing. Not anywhere near my thing. And I can say with a lot of certainty, I wouldn’t want Seth MacFarlane anywhere near my thing either. But since Microsoft got in the news for distancing themselves from the

I’m just going by the show. I can’t tell if he’s a complete misanthrope. Or just a raging misogynist. Or, actually, is that a misogynist or just a misanthrope? I don’t know whether hating one part of a group or the whole group is the lesser of two evils. Hating just women is discriminatory. But hating all humans is just a whole lot of hate. I’m not sure which end of that calculation is loaded.

Anyway, women or the whole of humanity, I qualify on both counts. And I actually don’t think being a big old hater is actually wrong. Per se. His choice. I'm not actually that much in love with the human race sometimes either, collectively speaking. But I don’t actively dislike them either. Much less hate. The only thing worse than being stuck on this crowded planet would be being here completely alone.

But if Seth MacFarlane can sell his mean spiritedness and his flaming mommy issues on TV, that’s the open market. As we’ve all learned, if you don’t have anything nice to say, get paid to do it at Fox. I just don’t really feel the need to let some stranger vent their spleen at me. I’m not saying he’s not funny. I’m just saying that he’s not funny enough to quite cover up the air of bile that floats around that show. Just cause you have a cartoon dog pee on my leg doesn’t mean I believe you when you tell me it’s raining.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

I am SO with you - have never "got" this or any of his spin-off shows -- never liked the mean, dumb humor -- I man Mean & smart, bring it on -- but just not that witty

also the art style is off-putting to me - I like my animation more edgy

FirePhrase said...

It's become the opposite of a cool test with me. If a stranger at a party brought up The Family Guy, I'd suddenly see somebody across the room that I just HAVE to talk to, and oh great, cocktail weenies, look at the time, gotta go.

TIME: Quotes of the Day