Friday, September 25, 2009

Terrorism and the Single Girl

Don’t know how far this story has penetrated in the national media, but of course it’s big news here. There was a terrorist sting action that went down this week, and nabbed a kid who really, really wanted to blow up a building. I don’t happen to work in the Fountain Place complex. Or even close to it. Blocks and blocks away.

I did however work there on September 11, 2001. From one of the conference rooms in our office, just past where Fountain Place starts to come to a point, I watched the second of the Twin Towers fall. And in one of those mortifying moments when self-protection overpowers compassion, for a minute or two I stopped thinking about those thousands of people in New York, and started thinking about one person in Dallas. I realized that I really did not want to be in that building. Fountain Place is big. It’s glass. It’s at the edge of, and a very identifiable part of, the Dallas skyline. And many of our office neighbors were in the oil and gas business. I was very, very grateful when we were acquired by another company and moved out a few months later.

So that’s my little 6 Degrees story for the day. And in the end, it’s not even the closest I’ve ever been to a terrorist act. As normal and boring as my life is, I’ve been a little bit closer. It’s sad really. Fountain Place is a beautiful building. It’s named for the actual fountains in it’s courtyard that make a fantastic place to take a break during a busy day. It’s a beautiful piece of architecture, and on September 10, 2001, I was pretty happy with myself that I’d got a brand new job in such a cool place. But walking to the office on September 12, it looked a lot different.

4 comments:

glorm said...

And isn't that a sad commentary on life when we are no longer able to look at a beautiful example of architecture as just that, but as something entirely different.

The world looked so different on Sept. 12.

WashingtonGardener said...

ON a lighter Dallas note - I now know when I'll bet here for GWA next year 9/10-15 (you guessed it - THAT anniversary time) - My plan this far out is to go a day early to hang with you 'cause I'm NOT good company at the tail end of this event. I barely have a voice now, am exhausted and very crabby. Anywat, put 9-9-10 on your radar and we'll talk as the year progresses.
BTW our local volunteer host did a bang-up job at the Banquet last Sat trying to sell us on Dallas gardens. Great sense of humor, promises of free-flowing booze, and a fun powerpoint including a photo of GWBush and Laura commentingthat these are "two Bushes we will NOT be visiting in the Big D"

FirePhrase said...

Well, shoot. You'll just miss the State Fair. No corny dogs for you. But I'm sure we'll find something else to do. I'm going to assume a non-botanically oriented activity, so you're palate will be nice and fresh when you dive into the local garden venues.

And just to plan ahead, please alert your GWA buds that it is the HEIGHT of ragweed and pig weed season, and the very beginning of mountain cedar season. Even if they don't have allergies elsewhere, they may want to have a little back up in their travel kits, just in case. It can be brutal.

WashingtonGardener said...

Eww I'll pass that one and ues, open to non-greeny gardening things for my pre-visit.
Someone else did mention we are just after the state fair, I'll live ;-).

TIME: Quotes of the Day