Friday, September 18, 2009

NOLA, Part Deux

Okay, shopping and food in New Orleans. Not that anybody cares anything about those two little ol’ things, fragile, petite doves that we are.

On the shopping front, I found a lot of high, a lot of low, and not much on the in betweens. If you like trashy t-shirts (in both senses of the word), New Orleans has you covered. And Mardi Gras throws aplenty. Though $2 for a string of beads that you’d buy in bulk back home seems a bit silly.

On the other side of the coin, I saw a lot of really nice antiques. I mean really nice. And they think very highly of their very nice antiques too, if you go by the price tags. I did a lot of window shopping for those stores, but I don’t think I could even afford to breathe the air inside. There was one boutique that had these 50s-influenced, proper lady dresses, with these STUNNING hats. I didn’t want to shop in that store. I wanted to BE that store. And someday when my lottery numbers hit, I will be.

But until then, I like to buy in the middle range and get something unique to the area when I’m shopping. Down in the French Market, I found a man who was hand making colorful jewelry that I thought was right down my nieces’ street, and a woman who was selling homemade candles in “local flavor” scents. Both very reasonably priced. And of course, I got a box of pralines for my parents. Who doesn’t love a praline? Communists.

And as a “if you go” sort of tip, don’t make yourself crazy about packing toiletries. I found 4 drugstores and 3 markets within walking distance of my hotel. If you forget your toothbrush, you’ll be fine.

Now food. Yeah, I made you wait for it. I found lots of good food, even though I didn’t go to any fancy restaurants. The Gumbo House had to-die-for traditional gumbo. And I’m saying this even though I hate boiled okra. Down at the Central Market I had the original muffaletta. A symphony of deli meat, cheese, olives and bread. If you get one, take a friend. I only got a half, and I shouldn’t have eaten all of it. I did. But I shouldn’t have. Oh, my tummy.

And of course, Café Du Monde. I went there twice. If you haven’t had a beignet, don’t believe the press that it’s like a doughnut. Kinda. But not really. I found the texture to be more reminiscent of Indian fry bread or funnel cake. Dense on the inside, crispy on the outside, hot as $2 pistols. And pure heaven. The chicory-laced café au lait was the perfect accompaniment. You can eat inside or on the patio (listening to a local musician if you hit the right time of day), but one morning I took mine over to Jackson Square to eat by the fountain, and the other I walked over to the river to watch the boats go by.

I think the only “bad” meal that I got was the just okay jambalaya from Café Maspero. Frankly, my jambalaya is way better. I could have that tummy space to better use with more room for beignets.

And on that morning note, I know New Orleans is known for its nightlife, but I’d have to say the morning was my favorite time. The light has this special quality, gentle but brilliant. It’s easy to see why artists are attracted to this town. In the early hours, most of the hard partiers are asleep. The streets are quiet and empty. It’s really just you and the locals. And a bag of beignets and a cup of café au lait.

4 comments:

glorm said...

Of course you're going to bring back enough beignets for all of us, right? Right?

Could you at least get the address for ordering by mail? I guess it's just for the mixture, but that's better than nothing.

FirePhrase said...

Bien sur, ma petite. You can order the mix at http://shop.cafedumonde.com/ . If you're a bold enough cook to deep fry at home. I am not. But check your local Whole Foods or similar chi-chi-poo-poo grocery store. A lot of them carry the mix. Then have your hubby stand behind you holding a boom box playing Louis Armstrong tunes.

WashingtonGardener said...

Funy thing is I see Cafedumonde Beignet and Chicory coffee here at the cheap-y etnic markets like Latino and Ethiopian syores - wonder how they picked up hose tastes.
You are not kidding on the trashy trinkets - but drunks will buy ANYTHINg.
I too like strolling the French Quarter in the early AM (anytime before Noon) seems you pretty much have it to yourself - a relief from the night-tome crowds.
Those haughty antique stores always make me wonder how they stay in business - guess just one sale per month & they are set.

FirePhrase said...

Could be the chicory that they like at the ethnic stores. Evidently, it's a good liver detoxifier. Leave it to hard drinking New Orleaneans to know that one.

I figured the antique stores got by on people buying a little historical cred to take a little nouveau off their riches. Not everybody has a 200-year old chifforobe handed down from Great-Grandmother Du Bois. And of course the aristos need somebody to sell their old davenports when they fall on hard times.

TIME: Quotes of the Day