Thursday, August 13, 2009

Can you stand the heat?

So, Top Chef Masters has come down to the Battle of the PBS Chef Titans Showdown of my dreams. With Hubert Keller, French Chef of Luuuuuv thrown in for the flavor. This is the black tar heroin of television. I’m going to have to go to rehab next Wednesday night (I said no, no, no). I thought Michael “Say my name!” Chiarello might have been toast, but evidently ugly food that tastes pretty okay wins over possibly giving the judges food poisoning from a raw bar blistering in the sun.

I’ve said all along that TCM has been a fun change from Top Chef, just from the fundamental lack of bitchy witchy that’s been maintained throughout. And what happens the minute the former TC cheftestants show up – let the pissing match begin! It was like the entire temperature of the room changed. Though the way the team matchups came was pretty funny. Of course Hubert picked two girls. Play on, playah. And when Rick Bayless picked Blais, I knew something cool (ha!) was going to come out of it. But the real fun was watching Michael Chiarello go all Italian Stallion on his sous chefs’ asses. Frankly, I think they should have taken their spankings and liked it. There’s a reason these guys are on Top Chef MASTERS and most of you got kicked off Top Chef. [And not for nothing, MC call me any time. I’d be happy to tell you your name.]

When it comes down to it, in spite of Hubert’s magnificent mane and mile long legs, I’m backing my boy Rick Bayless. I’ve spent many happy Saturday mornings, eating Cheerios and watching him grinding on that molcajete, cooking me up something yummy. Plus, it’s a roots thing. He’s an OKC homey. Any way it goes down, the finale is going to kick ass.

[Can’t wait for TCLV!]

4 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

I don't watch any cooking shows except occasional Everyday Cooking/Baking by MS - but for some reason I dog Hell's Kitchen and Top Chef - neither require being a foodies - and you certainly learn a lot.
My money is still on Hubie Wubie - you can't NOT crush on this guy. BTW it would have beena all-3-girl team - if he had his pick and not have gotten stuck with Spike.
It help sthat thse chefs are working for charities to mellow them out - I think they are just as competitive as the young turks - maybe more so - if their restaurant was on the line, we'd see the claws.
Rick's "have you been to Mexico" question cracked me up - unless someone spent months there exploring the country's cuisine they really are not going to bring much to the table for a week's vacation sampling.
I was sad to see our lone lady go. She got a raw deal - sorry, couldn't resist!!!

FirePhrase said...

The intensive time in Mexico is exactly what Bayless has done. He spent a good chunk of his teens and 20s in Mexico (yes, I really do watch Mexico One Plate at a Time). I loved when he'd say "Cozumel doesn't count". And obviously he didn't make that question the end all be all for his decision, because Blais knew nothing about Mexican cuisine.

I was sorry to see Anita go too. But she really looked like the fun had gone out of it for her. Her nerves seemed a little raw (back atcha!).

victory4angela said...

I used to be a regular Rachael Ray fan before she got all famous and such. I love 30 minute meals because I can make that stuff (although it usually takes me an hour). I've seen Paula Deen's show (but only when forced) and that Barefoot Contessa. I like Giada whatever her name is too. Oh, and I love Anthony Bourdain - he may not cook on his shows but he is downright hilarious. Loved both of his books too.

FirePhrase said...

Even though he's hot, the thing that keeps me off the Bourdain train in a big way is that he looks like he tastes like a cigarette butt at the bottom of a bourbon bottle. But I'd sit at the back of the bar with him and listen to him tell stories all night.

I think I don't get into the "you could make this" shows like Rachel Ray is that I have no intention of making anything. I'm an eater not a cooker. Lastying

TIME: Quotes of the Day